Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 PM

Lethbridge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
do some research if your gonna try hydrogen peroxide directly to your tank.....it can have some serious consequences if not done right...
Just out of curiosity sake, what are some of the consequences of dosing H2O2? I dose everyday and have had no bad side effect. I dose 15ml in a 100g system everyday.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

From what I've read so far is dosing too much can cause bleeding gills and can damage some SPS corals. The recommended amount is 1ml/10gal. I'm out of town for the next few days so my wife is in charge of the over feeding for me right now.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Default Sodium Nitrate Hydrogen Peroxide WTF

Aren't there fish and coral in this tank!

Stop and throw out what you are using and do so decent water changes.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Aren't there fish and coral in this tank!

Stop and throw out what you are using and do so decent water changes.
Seriously? You think people who have Dino's haven't thought of this little gem? What works for one person might not work for another.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I am seriously concerned in light of the previous posts of your experimenting with these chemicals while there is livestock in your tank. It is not what works for one may not work for another. You should not be taking that risk
Sorry!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

WHOAH!... Ok, let's not get into a ****ing match...

I agree with Naesco though. Take your time before jumping into H2O2. I use H2O2 in water treatment research because when exposed to intense light (especially light with any UV) it breaks down into hydroxyl radicals which will obliterate, well, everything. They're like the Chuck Norris of water treatment...

Before you try H2O2, try shutting off the biopellets reactor for a week or so, then start going again; there is no harm in that? If the dinos are still just as bad after that, then consider H2O2. If your nutrients are so low that the biopellets are giving you dinos, your corals are probably on a knife's edge in terms of health. They are healthy and looking good but because they don't have much "fat" (excess zooxanthellae)... kinda like Supermodel corals... If the H2O2 does do them any harm they might not have the resources to fight it off or bounce back. This is a common problem with biopellets and subsequent crashes.

You need to go slow and address the issue that causing your problem rather than throwing more things into the mix. It's like holding a running chainsaw in one hand to keep you balanced while holding a nuclear bomb one handed in the other.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM

I understand you post and thank you for your concern. Sodium nitrate is a legitimate way of trying to raise nitrate levels in the tank. Hydrogen peroxide is not like some chemical poison that is going to destroy everything. Now if you pour a whole botle in your tank, yes you can expect the tank to crash. From the research I've been doing so far this is very similar to using an ozonator.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Haha, thanks for that. I think the suggestion of turning off the reactor for a bit might help. I'll hold off on the peroxide treatment and see what happens.