Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Humpty is on a distinguished road
Default Algae problems, Cyano or Diatoms?

Ok so I have a reef system that I started around the middle of October 2014. So its been up and running for about 4 months. It is a 180g tank with an 80g sump. I run 2 x 5' ledzeal led lights. I have a skimmer rated for 400g and I use ro/di water. I have it stocked right now with various corals and,
2x black ice clowns
4x regular clowns
6x blue chromis
1x lawnmower blenny
1x 6 line wrasse
1x velvet damsel
1x royal dottyback
15-20 hermit crabs
3x turbo snails
I feed them homemade frozen food once a day.

I have been into freshwater tanks for about 10 yrs, I have kept tanks from 10g to 200g. I have an understanding of most of the algae that I have to deal with. Saltwater is a whole different beast. Im having a harder time figuring out what is what.
So lately I have been getting some red spots in my sump and on some rocks and also on my glass. I know from freshwater that cyano usuaully develops in sheets and comes off easy. Well these red spots don't develop anything like it does in my freshwater tanks. its just a bunch of spots not sheets. I also read that turbo snails will not eat cyano but whatever is growing all over my glass my turbo snails eat it up. Some of the red spots are on the glass pretty good, doesn't come off with my fingers. Some of it feels a tiny bit slimy, but not like cyano, more like diatoms. I've also read that cyano develops in lower flow areas but I am getting red areas in my higher flow areas and nothing in the slower areas. I heard that if you use a turkey baster cyano should come off the rocks but nothing is coming off when I do that.

I test my tank every weekend. This sunday my parameters were as follows:
Ph = 8.3
Alk = 13
Nitrate = 10
Phospahte = 0.5
Calcium = 460
Mag = 1350
Salinity = 0.026
Temp = 79

Attachment 13875
Attachment 13876
Attachment 13877
Attachment 13878
Attachment 13879
Attachment 13880

So can anyone help me figure out what type of algae this is so I can figure out the best route to getting rid of it?

Last edited by Humpty; 06-09-2016 at 03:43 PM.