Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
The trick with the milliput is to throw it into the microwave for 5 sec or so (depending on size of piece), knead it good, and then apply it underwater immediately afterwards. Mine always sticks real good.
both bits or do I have to mix them first? the green part is horribly hard to mix while the purple is like chewed gum.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
both bits or do I have to mix them first? the green part is horribly hard to mix while the purple is like chewed gum.
Both together in the microwave, then mix (knead). Softens them up and goes together much easier.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'm using the Vertex stuff now, although I find it the same as any other I've used. I haven't used one I didn't like. I don't think
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 AM

nerdz is on a distinguished road

Been using Vertex and find it to be noticeably better then others. Softer and sets up better and a lighter color
Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Me and superglue are like this >< so bad idea there
I'm with ya on that, but I've never liked the 'blend before use' stuff as it turns my skimmer into Ol' Faithful and my equipment always gets covered in a 'goo'

I like Eco Tech Coral Glue
Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I'm with ya on that, but I've never liked the 'blend before use' stuff as it turns my skimmer into Ol' Faithful and my equipment always gets covered in a 'goo'

I like Eco Tech Coral Glue
I've used the Vertex epoxy lately and the skimmer doesn't seem to react to it at all.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've been using ELMER'S Marine Epoxy Putty stick & it works fine. No need to special order or visit LFS for this stuff, it's available at most hardware stores & even discount $$$ stores, usually for $10 or less. Outer part of stick is a greenish colour while the core is white. It mixes up off white, which is fine by me. A little patience & coralline will do the job & make it blend into the surroundings. I would guess most of the epoxy stick formulations 'specifically' made for our hobby are much the same. Epoxy is epoxy, the only thing to watch out for is that some of the sticks made for automotive or certain type of plumbing repairs contain copper or other funky metallic additives not suitable for our tanks. Even so, once the epoxy cures, anything in the mixture is pretty much locked in, forever.

EITI: Ok, so after posting this I watched the YouTube on the Tunze stuff. I guess not all epoxy is created equal, but they did say it costs more.... How much I wonder & is the cost worth it? While features like mixing under water are impressive, is that something I typically do, no. It also doesn't take a lot of effort to dry my hands before mixing my cheap stuff. I suppose if you're doing A LOT of fragging or major rock building, the extra cost may be worth it

Last edited by mike31154; 01-07-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

I always disliked working with epoxy, I have tried a bunch of them and noticed that they all are very similar. I hate the DD epoxy, it literally turns your skimmer crazy and water murky. The Vertex epoxy is slightly better without the long curing times and microwaving, a big bonus is that it doesn't turn the water murky or mess with the skimmer. I always used super glue gel with epoxy to get the initial mold and allow for curing to occur.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:48 PM

wreck is on a distinguished road

im currently using fluval epoxy. no complaints.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Epoxy is epoxy
Vertex went through over 70 different compositions before they arrived at the current offering... Sorta like saying a car is a car :P