Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 AM

Gooly001 is on a distinguished road

CFIA= Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Not sure what their jurisdiction is on corals. Fish and clams, yes I would call them to gather info but unless you plan on eating corals, I don't think that they are right place to get proper info.
Why not try DFO= Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Makes a lot more sense as the animals are from the Ocean.
Jm2c
Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
it would probably be a big help to post those recorded phone calls...
They're quite boring
Have you been to the Pac highway border crossing and seen the seized coral skeletons in the display case along with other prohibited items?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
I called the canada agricultural food inspection agency who are in charge of regulating pet imports and the worman I spoke to said there is no issue at all for bringing in hobiest coral. I was quite surprised and asked if there were any restrictions and she said no. Litterally told me no issues at all with coral.
Here's my interpretation. There are no issues bringing back corals and clams (unless they are on CITES). The person you were talking to assumed your animals are not on CITES. Did you specifically tell her that you are importing animals on CITES list (stony corals and Tridacna clams) and did she say yes, you can import any coral and clam on the CITES list without restriction?

From the Importation of Pet Aquatic Animals link that I posted above:

"It is the importer's/owner's responsibility to determine whether the species being imported is subject to the controls imposed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), which are administered by the Canadian Wildlife Service. Please contact the Canadian Wildlife Service for information."

So contact the Canadian Wildlife Service and tell them you are bringing back animals on CITES. Then post back with their response.

Last edited by Samw; 03-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Here's my interpretation. There are no issues bringing back corals and clams (unless they are on CITES). The person you were talking to assumed your animals are not on CITES. Did you specifically tell her that you are importing animals on CITES list (stony corals and Tridacna clams) and did she say yes, you can import any coral and clam on the CITES list without restriction?

From the Importation of Pet Aquatic Animals link that I posted above:

"It is the importer's/owner's responsibility to determine whether the species being imported is subject to the controls imposed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), which are administered by the Canadian Wildlife Service. Please contact the Canadian Wildlife Service for information."

So contact the Canadian Wildlife Service and tell them you are bringing back animals on CITES. Then post back with their response.

Yup. This. Agriculture Canada is only concerned with any potential agricultural or environmental impact. Health Canada would have jurisdiction over anything that might potentially impact human health. CITES is the main issue with bringing in corals, clams and some other livestock and that is under the direction of a different department as well. This stuff is complex and full of bureaucracy and red tape :-/
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I'm just sayin, I was transfered numerous times until I spoke to someone from the deparment that deals with importing live animalsn into Canada. I specified stoney coral (not clams ect) for my home aquarium. I did not mention CITES and maybe she was making assumptions that some lay person calling in about buying coral in bellingham was aware of these regulations but she never mentioned it. I'd rather buy local and support places like oceanic corals here anyway.

I'm not advising anyone to do anything, especially something illeagal. I'm just relaying information I was told to help you all make your own decisions.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Just to remove any doubt.

From the FAQ, animals in Appendix I (stony corals) need both import and export CITES certs and animals in Appendix II (Tridacna clams) need export CITES. I haven't seen any holes that suggest hobbiests are exempt from these regulations. There are exemptions for souvenirs and such. But these do not include live animals.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publi...oyage-but#home

"It is illegal to bring many CITES-listed species or their parts and derivatives across Canadian and many international borders without the appropriate CITES permits."

CITES FAQ
http://www.ec.gc.ca/CITES/default.as...0E5322-1#_01_3

"If you are importing or exporting a CITES-listed species, its parts or derivatives for either personal or commercial use, you may need a CITES permit.
Appendix I

Species that are found on Appendix 1 of CITES are the most endangered animals and plants covered under CITES. International commercial trade is generally prohibited. Commercial import and export may be possible for animals bred in a registered facility, artificially propagated plants, and Pre-Convention specimens.

Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by:
  • a Canadian CITES import permit
  • a CITES export permit (or re-export certificate) granted by the exporting country
Appendix II

Appendix II species have been listed, as there is a risk that they may be threatened with extinction unless trade is regulated. Importing and exporting species listed on Appendix II is allowed provided the appropriate permits are obtained. See examples in table below.

Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by:
  • a CITES export permit (or re-export certificate) issued by the exporting country
"

Exemptions:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cites/default.asp?lang=En&n=69BC0FBB-1#_007

"These exemptions are recognized by Canada, but may not be by the other country to or from which you are travelling.

Item was owned by the individual in his or her country of residence.
Item is part of the individual’s clothing or accessories or personal accompanied baggage.

Includes
(These do not require CITES permits as long as conditions for exemption are met)

Dead plants or dead animals, including their parts and derivatives.

Examples:
  • Queen conch shells
  • Coral jewellery and dead coral skeletons
  • Cactus rainsticks
Excludes

(CITES permits required)
  • Appendix I species
  • Live animals and plants
  • Live animals
"

Last edited by Samw; 03-03-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Well done Sam , that should clear up a lot of confusion on this thread.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:34 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Barrier Reef is worth a visit.

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/

Remember, you can't bring back stuff that are on Cites. This includes most corals that have skeletons (SPS, LPS) and some other endangered animals. Check the list to be sure.

I've been to Barrier Reefs a few times just to browse and dream. There are tonnes of corals in there tanks. Store is less than half the size of JL and probably has easily 3-4x the inventory of corals.

It's definitely worth checking out if you're down in the Seattle.