Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM

FBNitro is on a distinguished road

1) Total for all 8 bulbs
2) 8 T5's should be fine for hard corals assuming they have individual reflectors, otherwise I couldn't tell you.
3) Watts per Gallon means nothing! It's all about lighting levels, PAR readings etc. Compact Florescents and T5's use about the same wattage, but T5's (because of individual reflectors etc) will generally blow Compact Florescents out of the water in lighting levels.
4) Over time, the lights change wavelength and lose brightness. You're going to have to run them ~8-12 hours a day to support your tank, just replace them yearly unless you have an accurate way to determine the bulb status.
5) I would only grow them in the refugium. The overflow should be free of things IMO so it doesn't get clogged accidentally and your tank overflows.

I would have chosen a different bulb mix w/8 bulbs... when you replace them, you should do some research on recommended bulb setups.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 PM

TVR is on a distinguished road

Thanks FBNitro.
My tank was under recycled since Dec 08. First month with no light, then 4 hrs frm mid jan then 6 hr frm Mid Feb (because my wife brought home a strange softie pc that needed light to stay alive, and it doing ok as I know for now ). Now I have it run 8 hr per day (8 and half for the blue atinic that I heard it needed to be over lapsed with daylight a bit.
So I guess, I am doing ok with the light I have. But having saying that, when changing light, I'll take your advice to have a mixing change of 1-2 buld at a time.
Thanks for your help FBNitro.