Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided
Default Heading to Mayan Riviera - Playa del Carmen.. Anyone know the best snorkeling spots?

title says it.. thanks!

-Adam
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 AM

JOEL is on a distinguished road

I don't know when your going to playa but if you have time go and get certified for diving.Then jump on the ferry over to cozumel they have same of the best diving I have ever done.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:03 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

The cenotes, by far the most incredible thing i have ever seen.

Back in the good ole days
Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

When I was there 2 years ago my wife and I just went at our resort. We saw alot of fish and maze corals alot of encrusting monties and some stylophoras. It was quite amazing. There were tons of tangs ,angles, wrasses, gobies, box fish, baracuda, rays , damsels, jacks and I believe I saw a sckool of cardinals.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

For reefs, the best snorkeling I did was off the beach at the resort (the resort I went to was in the middle of nowhere ... actually it was really close to Tulum).

For fish sighting the best snorkeling I did was two marine parks (have to pay to enter), one was "Xcaret" (say "Ish caret") and the other "Xel-Ha" ("shell ha"). I forget which one is which now but one of them you can take a ride down an underwater river for about a half kilometre or something. Really cool and creepy at the same time, especially when you can see these crevasses that go down seemingly to the centre of the earth.

Cenotes (sink-holes) are worth seeing too. Again they just go down and down and down into nothingness, hard not to get a sense of vertigo.

Everyone who goes to Cozumel says it's worth it for the diving... I've never been but everyone I talk to says "you really have to go". So .. um .. you really have to go, too.

Enjoy and please take lots of pictures to post back for those of us (ok me) who are stuck in snowy Canada for probably years to come. (Having small kids really changes how easy it is to just "get away for a week or two.")
Old 04-21-2008, 04:27 AM

calkrog is on a distinguished road

take the ferry to cozumel, takes 20 min. then take a cab to palancar reef, where you will go on a small boat trip out to the actual reef. its one of the best diving spots the world.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
For reefs, the best snorkeling I did was off the beach at the resort (the resort I went to was in the middle of nowhere ... actually it was really close to Tulum).

For fish sighting the best snorkeling I did was two marine parks (have to pay to enter), one was "Xcaret" (say "Ish caret") and the other "Xel-Ha" ("shell ha"). I forget which one is which now but one of them you can take a ride down an underwater river for about a half kilometre or something. Really cool and creepy at the same time, especially when you can see these crevasses that go down seemingly to the centre of the earth.

Cenotes (sink-holes) are worth seeing too. Again they just go down and down and down into nothingness, hard not to get a sense of vertigo.

Everyone who goes to Cozumel says it's worth it for the diving... I've never been but everyone I talk to says "you really have to go". So .. um .. you really have to go, too.

Enjoy and please take lots of pictures to post back for those of us (ok me) who are stuck in snowy Canada for probably years to come. (Having small kids really changes how easy it is to just "get away for a week or two.")
Xelha is not too far from Telum and is certainly worth a look. A shallow "brackish" snorkel with lots of fish.

Greg
Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 PM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

I was down in the Mayan Riviera 2 years ago and I would have to say it depend on what you want to see. Xel-Ha is great for fish and the dolphin experience but thats all you will see. Xcaret is better because you get to see a bit of everything fish, cenotes and an underground river. If you want to see lots of fish and coral in a natural reef setting then I would go to Cozumel.

Hope this helps.

Sean
Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Interior_Reef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Interior_Reef

Pretty much any spot in the ocean will be great we stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace and even the beach there is Great for snorkeling. TONS of Blue Tangs ... big ones too

Xcaret is good for underwater rivers and snorkeling through them. Xel Ha is good for the all inclusive addmission

Cozumel would be the best place to see some remarkable reefs though.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Finaddict is on a distinguished road

we went in november and did a tour called TURTLE Bay

it was awesome we saw 10 different turtles in an hour plus sting rays and a 6 foot baracuda, thousands of fish and corals.

it was only 12 feet deep and is a protected area. was south of playa del carmen. but not as far as tulum.

only cost $26 each from our resort called the grand sirenis

Last edited by Finaddict; 04-22-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: pix