Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

got o golds I have dealt with bow valley before they are horrible, (likes to lie). I have had a couple tanks built through golds and they do a much better job, and they dont lie about how long it will be before you get the tank, I should have a custom tank hoppfully today thhat I had order form them I will post pics if it shows up today and then you can make the call. I got a 60g with herbies style external overflow returns in the euro brace starfire pannels and a custom sump designed by albert.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Lets here more about your tank now

My display is 72"l x 26"w x 24" high - 12mm starphire on the three viewable sides. I do not use standpipes, and do not see the issue with drilling the bottom of a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrat View Post
I do have pretty detailed drawings and yes have found that some just like to do it 'Their' way and are very opinionated. I have some good resources now and hopefully will find someone to build it the way I want. Here is a link to Brian's build thread on reefcentral. It is very similar to what I want. When I start my build I will start a build thread here for you all. Thanks so much!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Theresa
Old 01-18-2008, 05:18 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Seeing as Albert just built my tank in the fall, thought I would offer my 2 cents. I am fairly new to this hobby (< 1 year) and am realising a lot of it is trial and error. When I had my tank/stand built, I thought I had everything exactly the way I wanted it, and wouldnt want anything done differently. Now that is is set up & running, there are several things I would have done different on both the tank and the stand. Overall I am definately happy with the tank the way it is, but when I upgrade I know what I will do differently.

Seeing as you seem to know exactly what you want, I think you will be fine. They herbie for overflow is awesome as many others will attest to, but I recommend tracking a gate valve down, even though Albert will tell me to suck it up and be patient with the ball valve

Goodluck, cant wait to see the build thread!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

[quote=jasond;295135]I recommend tracking a gate valve down, even though Albert will tell me to suck it up and be patient with the ball valve [\quote]

LOL I hear ya!! I think I finally have my ball valve dialed in.. despite what Albert says it is a really is a pain in the backside! If I was to do it again I would order a gate online.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Duffer2 is on a distinguished road

Had my tank built by Elite and was happy with it. Albert (golds) then convinced me of a few changes (specifically the Herbie) which he did for me, and I couldn't be happier. He also helped me with my piping and deisgn of the system. All my research was great, but talking to a guy who deals with aquariums for a living was an eye opening expereience. My best advice is Go Herbie!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:43 AM

mccrat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to mccrat

Like I said, very opinionated.... I will be getting multiple quotes and have done my homework on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Not to sound like a snob or anything, but just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it actually is.

eg. you realize that drilling the bottom of the tank is probably the worse thing you can do eh? The reason dude is gonna get away with it is because his bottom plate ISN'T glass, it's PVC. Also, buddy is using Durso's in his overflow box. From a design standpoint, Durso's are strictly inferior to Herbie's. His sump also mandates an external skimmer as it cannot maintain water level without constant attention or a level controlling monitor.

That said, what exactly was it that you wanted with this tank? Give me a call at the store (Gold Aquariums) if you want to discuss these custom features.

Edit:

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthr...t=36052&page=2
Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrat View Post
Like I said, very opinionated.... I will be getting multiple quotes and have done my homework on this.
:P
Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Just a quick note when i got a quote done on a tank, I used 7 or 8 business's around north america. Everyone said they could drill the bottom (glass) but it would have to be minimum 3/4 inch think and tempered. Decided against it

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Someone meantioned contacting miracles?? I was in contact woith them before about building me a tank. Not as sophisticated as yours, but price was great. I got their email here if you want

info@miraclesaquariums.com
Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas
Thumbs up

go to gold's..great service