Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 AM

troni is on a distinguished road
Default Kony 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Mnp...e_gdata_player

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs

Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

I literally JUST watched this off my facebook and I was going to post it here. This is such a worthy cause. Kony needs to be stopped.
I am going to sign the petition and look into getting an action kit. I am going to talk to my staff rep to see if this can be done for our school too.
Its a big issue and yes, he needs to become famous like Hitler to be stopped.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM

cordeiro is on a distinguished road

I just watched this aswell and ordered a kit! It needs to be out there and he needs to be stopped at all costs
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

A slightly different viewpoint on this.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com

And an even further slightly different viewpoint ..

http://www.wrongingrights.com/
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Wow, very powerful!!!

I personally hope that humanity as a whole can one day stand together as one and take down evil, like Joseph Kony. This video just shows that we can make a difference if we really want to.

Video worth watching.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Please read the first link I posted before you consider donating any money.

The second link I posted is good for a small laugh I guess, but the first one is dead serious. By supporting Invisible Children you are funding the Ugandan militia which might not be what you want (if it's what you want then I guess don't listen to me but at least make an informed decision).

For what it's worth, I fell for this yesterday as well. It's hard not to get caught up in it. Warlords are bad! I'm sure Kony is a terrible person and needs to brought to justice. But supporting Invisible Children (which you do by even sharing the link) might not be the most appropriate avenue to that goal.

The reality is that this is a chain letter ("bad things will happen if you don't immediately share this with your friends and family!") and EVERY chain letter is something you should look at with a healthy dose of suspicion and skepticism.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

I think it is up to the individual, if they wish to donate or not, to any cause.

There is evil!!!! Humanity tends to turn the cheak, but I do feel that enough is enough... I agree with video's like this, maybe not the cause, but the idealogy that as a whole, "We the People" can make a change for the better.

From dictorships that kill their people to maintain power, from people like Joseph Kony that kill to get power, from people that just kill for their own wrong reasons... Why?

Too many why's in this world, I wish one day we can put forth more effort to just get along and take care of each other. Probably never will happen, but it would be nice.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM

It is up to the individual, but please make it an informed choice.

Again, I say, read the link. It won't take the 30 minutes that watching the video will, and it should arm you enough to fully consider things before committing to any action.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Here is a good quote from there:

"Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012."
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It is up to the individual, but please make it an informed choice.

Again, I say, read the link. It won't take the 30 minutes that watching the video will, and it should arm you enough to fully consider things before committing to any action.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Here is a good quote from there:

"Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012."
Very valid points Tony, but you gotta start somewhere. And it isn't like you can give evil a big hug, and make it all better. Sorry to say, but it sometimes takes killing to stop the killing.

I do disagree that we the people cannot make change utilizing technology, etc... Look at many of the worlds countries, using such technologies to gather and revolt, to overthrough there dictorships for the better good of their people. This past year or so has been a busy one, many changes happening on the other side of the globe. Do you think this would of happened 30 years ago? Maybe... but I am sure technologies, the ability and ease to speak to masses, the WWW have greatly played a part with today's changes. Better or worse.

HEHE.... not trying to debate with you buddy, I really do see your point and hope others do also. Stepping down off the soap box now.

Last edited by globaldesigns; 03-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Dangit, I was mid-reply and the page reloaded? Very impressed...

I gotta admit, I watched the video and ordered the kit, then Tony, I saw your links. I understand that although they may be going about it in a way that isnt entirely fair or logical, at least it is getting attention, because as of yesterday, aside from the viral craze that had launched on my facebook, I'd never heard of Kony (though had heard of the LRA). He is obviously a negative person, because I looked it up and he is indeed indicted by the ICC, and they wouldn't put him on there for no reason. Gotta be one heck of a character to make it on there.

I'll keep spreading the info though(including, I WILL write to an MP), because at least its getting the word out about Joseph Kony himself. But I will also make reference to the info you have added, Tony.

Cheers,

Chris