Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
that looks like a great idea but is that on your main floor? was just wondering how much weight can the floor hold that being its 300 gallons plus the weight of all materials would easily be around 1400kg with the sump and all to, forgive my math if i'm wrong

Floor has been reinforced.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

lol gotcha nice idea man really looking forward to the aquascaping
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Getting in on this interesting concept a bit late, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished using a pvc framework or something similar? Why glass? PVC would be lighter, less prone to breakage, probably less $$$s too. Easier to disassemble if it comes to that...

Last edited by mike31154; 12-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Getting in on this interesting concept a bit late, but couldn't the same thing be accomplished using a pvc framework or something similar? Why glass? PVC would be lighter, less prone to breakage, probably less $$$s too. Easier to disassemble if it comes to that...
Acrylic was NOT cheaper actually. I had estimates from shops in Alberta, Minnesota, Ontario, and even Las Vegas (ATM aka TANKED).

Even shops in the States who are usually much cheaper than glass had a brain fart when I showed them the design. Initially I had planned to do this in an L- shaped acrylic tank but after weighing the pros and cons of it and considering the fact that acrylic is much easier to scratch etc, I decided on glass. Price was very close to the same.

I wanted to actually do a bullnose end on the tank but the fact that it would be a 2 ft radius curve meant it would look like a huge magnifying glass and distort everything. If I went bigger than a 2 ft radius curve we wouldn't get it into the house.

So we went with glass with beveled edges.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i think he means pvc piping for a frame acrylic is def not cheaper than glass just stronger and lighter glass is easier to get and cheaper by the sheet love this build btw awesome job mate
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter View Post
Acrylic was NOT cheaper actually. I had estimates from shops in Alberta, Minnesota, Ontario, and even Las Vegas (ATM aka TANKED).

Even shops in the States who are usually much cheaper than glass had a brain fart when I showed them the design. Initially I had planned to do this in an L- shaped acrylic tank but after weighing the pros and cons of it and considering the fact that acrylic is much easier to scratch etc, I decided on glass. Price was very close to the same.

I wanted to actually do a bullnose end on the tank but the fact that it would be a 2 ft radius curve meant it would look like a huge magnifying glass and distort everything. If I went bigger than a 2 ft radius curve we wouldn't get it into the house.

So we went with glass with beveled edges.
What he meant was you could take PVC pipes and build a shelf structure. Not acrylic
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
What he meant was you could take PVC pipes and build a shelf structure. Not acrylic
When you're already tipping the scales at 1000 lbs, what's a few more?

Acrylic would be more expensive.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Ya, thanks reefw & marko, that's what I meant. Just build a box with pvc or any number of other material than glass. Great concept, just seems like a waste of glass & overly complex to me when a similar result, shelf or whatever could be accomplished by other means. Glass usually good when you need to see stuff, but if it's hidden, makes no sense. Maybe just me, I dunno. Kudos on the fine glass work though, looks great.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter View Post
When you're already tipping the scales at 1000 lbs, what's a few more?

Acrylic would be more expensive.
Nobody said anything about acrylic. PVC pipes, like the stuff you're gonna use to plumb your tank..... You can use it to make a shelf structure
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

wow never considered a pvc box. you could use a ton of cross-tees to achieve a grid to top and front of your cage. perfect for zip-tying to. nice thinking!

luckilly you're good to go anyways. it's scape time...