Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 AM

Jan is on a distinguished road

I had it for about a year in my 180 gal.It began to grow after I started using the NP pellets.At that time I also stopped the uv cause that's what the instructions were.I spent at least 2 hours 2x/wk pulling it off.
Things I did to get rid of it:
1) I have a 12 gal tank running that I use for various things. In it are 3 crabs(a blue legged,a calcinus elegans and an emerald crab). After scrubbing the rocks that I could get out of the main tank(with Coral RX),I put them in the little tank one by one and they did a very good job of eating most of it.They would not eat it if I put them in the big tank. After awhile the bryopsis would start growing again after I had put them back in the 180.
2).I plugged my UV back in.
3) I got my phophates lowered using cyanostarver(foz down). The pellets didn't do anything,although I still have a small amount of them running.Also use GFO.
4)I switched to Kent magnesium.(1350)
5)I got a long spined urchin,3 tuxedos,and a bunch of snails.
6)But the very best were 6 lettuce nudibranch(slugs) that I got from the Reef Shoppe.It took Kelly awhile to get them in but they sure did the trick. Unfortunately they have all died cause there wasn't anything left for them to eat.
I still get abit on my powerheads and on the overflow,but nothing like it was.