Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 AM

Edmsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Question on tanks

Was wondering if there are any benefits of starting at salt water tank in a normal tank (no sump, etc) that is 77G? i've kept ciclids in this tank for years and was wondering if i could save some money and just convert to salt in here? i hope that any negatives could be overcome with extra filtration i put on...

any advice?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

starting salt will not save you money but a sump is by no means reqired, but make sure you have lots of flow
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Moving to the reefing forum for you. Should get lots of answers to your questions in there.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You don't need a sump but I do think you need some kind of surface skimming filtration to keep the tank clean. Could you install a simple auto top off system? If so you could install an overflow box without the drain hole in the tank. Then use a canister filter to move water from the overflow box into the tank. You could also run a HOB skimmer in a similar way and even keep your heaters hidden away. This way you're getting most of the benefits of a sump without a sump, the only other requirement is the ATO which will maintain the level in the overflow box, keeping things constant. This will also help you out later if you decide to drill the tank as you won't have to tear down the whole tank to do it, just simply drain the overflow box.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM

russp is on a distinguished road

I started a SW with a 72 gal & no sump 1 year ago , you are on the right track already by being on this forum . I had no problem going sumpless but my biggest regret is not drilling & plumbing the tank for an internal overflow before I setup & stocked the tank. You will probably add a sump at some time , I added a sump about 8 mths in & I hate the look & noise of the external overflow & I'm to chicken to tear my tank apart or drill it now.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

My 77 Hagen has been running sumpless for just over 3 years now. Rena XP3 canister filter (empty baskets except for a bag of carbon) for a little extra water volume, hang on air driven cc skimmer and IMO the most important, two MP40W EcoTech VorTech powerheads for flow. As an ATO, I use a glass wine carboy pressurised by an air pump on a timer with a mechanical float switch to control the level in the display. In the switch to salt water, you'll also want to invest in a RO/DI system for pure water, otherwise you'll need to find an alternate source and lug the stuff home in large jugs. Depending on what you plan to keep, lighting requirements will need to be well researched but to get started cycling etc., some flourescents will probably do nicely.

If your 77 is a Hagen like mine, you may wish to look at drilling it for overflow/return, then you'll have the option of using a sump straight away. I've checked the Hagen tank web page FAQs and it states all their tanks use non-tempered glass, so drilling should be no problem. Although running sumpless is actually a bit less complex, I plan to upgrade to a larger tank with a sump in the basement..... soon, I hope.

Skimmer

ATO container

ATO float switch

Old 01-31-2010, 02:28 PM

Edmsalt is on a distinguished road

thanks all. that was awesome advice. Onwards I go!!