Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 AM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

what exactly is the gate valve? and how does it make it quieter hahah cause i would really like a much quieter skimmer
Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 AM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

The cap idea may not be too mad. I have one in my garage, I'll drill a hole and check it out.

For me the gurgle is not too big of a deal as my sump is plumbed through a wall from my tank and sits in the utility room. I just want to eliminate it if possible.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i emailed euroreef about the valve pluging all the time and they told me to remove it its not needed under normal conditions
Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The Coralife Superskimmers have a "silencer" on their airlines. Could something like that be used if the airline is too noisy? It looks a little similar to a bubble counter (just not transparent), basically just a little tube capped on both ends and then two hose nipples on the top, you just attach the airline to one of them. It probably puts a *tiny* amount of restriction on the air but not hugely I would think.

As far as that airline valve goes, I'd totally take it off. Seems to me you want as much air as possible, and compensate by lowering the water level. And if the air bubbles are too big then you just meshmod that sucker!!

Also, the gate valve mods are totally worthwhile, if you can get your hands on a gate valve. One disclaimer, I don't have a Euroreef but do have an ASM (actually gone through a couple ASM's now... when they used to be a cheap alternative to a Euroreef)... I did the gate valve mod on all of them. I found it way easier to work with the skimmer that way (plus it does help with the noise level too).
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
Mine gurgles loudly from the venturi airline. Its a RS250 but i haven't done anything because its in my basement but would like to know how to quiet it down.
same...always has, probably always will.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 PM

Mine gurgles from the adjustment tube, the airline is not bad.. just your typical sucking noise.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

Mine doesnt gurgle at all....and Im not understanding why it would...guess its my thick skull ...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

if you get sucking noises and it's not coming from your airline, it could mean your sump water depth isn't sufficient. this will create a little vortex at the venturi (water end)hence the sucking noises. if this is the situation, increasing the water depth in which your skimmer sits can get rid of this.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I have the water depth about 1/2 inch below the air intake.....so my level is quite high
Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Ah, perhaps I will try raising my sump water level. In the directions is says 5-6" inches if I recall, perhpas I will try a little higher.