Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 12-18-2004, 01:21 AM

Coldwater is on a distinguished road

Ya also might want to count to five not 3 not 6 not 1 not 2 but 5. Or you could go ask to get help from a horned and bearded wizard.

Matt
Old 12-18-2004, 01:36 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

this thread is going down hill fast

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:12 AM

Silverfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Silverfish

It's got teeth!!!

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness pays off now.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM

JohnM99 is on a distinguished road

Hi Moray Guy
I gather you are a young guy -
First of all - good for you in being so keen and getting going in this hobby - great age to start.
I wouldn't get excited about having tried to grow something that you snagged in a net and would have turfed out anyway - wouldn't want to discourage a young hobbyist.
But, it is true that cold water species won't live too long at warm temps. But, why not try to grow some local stuff in a cool tank. We have such great fish and anemones etc locally that it is a shame that we don't try to cultivate them.
I know that a lot of people use sea water and have done well with it. It is just a lot of work - but, you are young and full of energy, I presume.

There is a very illustrious aquarist now known as Dr. Ron (look on reefcentral.com) who spent some of his early years on Vancouver Island and did a lot of what you describe - local things in local sea water. Most of it is legal, and can be really rewarding. The restrictions that are common in warm water collections are not the same in cold water regions. I am no expert, but you could find out a lot of this just looking around the web or phoning a fisheries office.

The rocks you would find on the beach are not corals - not like live rocks from Fiji - same for the sand.

Presuming you are like most people your age, and not overflowing with cash, you can do a lot looking around for used deals in the paper, or the Buy Sell and Trade paper - amazing how cheap used stuff is.

How old are you? I should put you in touch with my 15 year old - he wants me to get a 300 g tank started!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:48 PM

Hey I am 14 and thats simply how I started in this hobbie, with little crabs and fish from the beach. I once even found a fair sized Rock Cod trapped in a tide pool and it was covered in sea lice. I do this just about every summer and then when stuff starts going bad out into the ocean they go. By far one of my favorite fish would have to be the Plainfin Midshipman (they make sounds like a duck ) they dont eat anything but prawns though.

Matt
Old 12-18-2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM99
There is a very illustrious aquarist now known as Dr. Ron (look on reefcentral.com) who spent some of his early years on Vancouver Island and did a lot of what you describe - local things in local sea water.
illustrious, hmm I woulden't go that far but at any point you for got to mention that when he was on the island he was being paid for research and he was using huge chilled tanks that have constant sea water flow in them in a reciirculating loop from the ocean. No anything many of us could do.

Also I have knowen a few people that used sea water and every one of them had nothing but problems.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 PM

JohnM99 is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve - of course you are right - I think he was at Bamfield. I spent some time talking with him this year, and he did use ocean water for his own tanks (which weren't on the ocean recirculator, but did use a chiller) - if you wanted to collect ocean water, you would of course have to make sure it wasn't polluted - there are some pretty good spots near me - but I am too lazy - I hook up my RO DI water, and pump it up.

I know a couple of people who have had unheated tanks in basements and done pretty well with some local stuff. A chiller would certainly be more of a guarantee, but a lot of people have some pretty cold basements in Victoria. Also, a lot of people have rigged up chillers from old fridges - again, a lot of trouble, not all that reliable, but something people have done.

I don't see any harm in a young man giving it a go. (A lot better than hanging around a mall!).

I started with sticklebacks from Little Mountain in Vancouver back in the 60s. Got me started, had a lot of fun.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:39 PM

Hey this question doesnt really fit this thread but I didnt want to make another. My family is going on a vacation to Maui on the 7th-19th of january. Is there any special things I need to tell my fish sitter than the basics? Hehehehehe cant wait .

Matt
Old 12-19-2004, 12:56 AM

ya, I was going to try bringing in some of the local feather dusters into my tank (the purple and grey ones) but after a 30 or 40 e-mail exchange with Dr Ron I decided it was best left in the ocean. the reason being that there is no way for them to survive for very long in a different temp range. you would need to keep the water at a temp of 60 or less he figured to have any long term sucess with them. I agree that we have some beautiful stuff in our local waters but if you don't have the money to set up a proper environment for them then why take them from the ocean to die?

kinda like my visit to the lfs today, there was a couple in there looking for another fish for there 45 gal tank.. they already had a yellow tang, a sailfin tang and were looking at my foxface I took in.. I discouraged them from the foxface as it was big, so they started looking at another tang

Steve