Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Zoanthids.
-wear gloves
-if you cant wear gloves wash your hands thoroughly after
-do not handle your zoas without gloves if you have an open cut on your hands.
-while fragging your zoas, wear eye protection.
Wear a mask too if you're using a saw to cut. I use a Dremel with a diamond blade sometimes and I once got poisoned from inhaling the dust produced while fragging.

I've also been skewered(right through my finger, ouch) by a long spine urchin while cleaning a tank so WATCH what you're doing if you have one. I didn't realize it was in there and it was hiding under a black over flow against a black background. Thankfully I didn't get one of the poison spines.

I am often stung by Euphyllia. An orange hammer once stung the back of my wrist and it was very itchy and painful. It produced welts and then black scare marks after the welts went down. Those marks were there for several months and would frequently get itchy still.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I had my left hand paralyzed for just over 6 hrs when I handled 3 coral juries still out on which one it was but I can tell you it was excruciatingly painfull. I handled a Zoa, mushroom leather, red and green brain coral I treat all my coral with care because I never wanna go through that pain ever again
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I had my left hand paralyzed for just over 6 hrs when I handled 3 coral juries still out on which one it was but I can tell you it was excruciatingly painfull. I handled a Zoa, mushroom leather, red and green brain coral I treat all my coral with care because I never wanna go through that pain ever again
Your really having a rough start at this. I almost always wear gloves when I have to handle anything in my tank now. A box of 100 blue nitrile gloves sells for $10 and lasts for a very long time. They're pretty tough yet disposable and they don't have any powder inside like the latex gloves typically do.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread. What is the treatment for anemone stings. And fox face stings
Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread. What is the treatment for anemone stings. And fox face stings
When I was badly stung by a maxi mini nem I ran my hand under hot water and soaked it in vinegar which helped take the initial sting out. I had red welts and it was itchy for a week but one thing that really helped was an anti itch cream like Benadryl.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM

strider is on a distinguished road

I had read this before on different forums but just ignored it like most people thinking it can't be that bad.
I had 2 scrapes on my hand and I went to pick up big frogspawn coral that had fallen down next to Anenome. I don't know if one or both got me but that was painful lesson. It hurt for days. The cut where the skin was off from didn't heal fully for a month.
learned to listen to other hobbyist when they tell u something.

Bought the 20$ coralife gloves the same week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk