Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default How would you light up a sps dominant system?

Hey guys!

I keep bouncing back and forth as to how to light my next sps dominant tank.

I'd like to get some feedback, advice, opinions and experiences to help my decide.

The tank will be a focal point for sure, it will be in the front of the house, dividing the formal dining room and the family room.

1. Aesthetics is a huge factor for me. It has to look clean & modern.
2. Sps coloration is important! Originally I was thinking LED predominately simply for the low maintenance of not changing bulbs! But why keep sps if you aren't going to strive to get the best colors out of them!
3. Maintenance , changing bulbs, power consumption.
4. Heat, originally thinking LED predominately to forego any issues with heat, humidity etc, but I believe this should be a non-issue as the house will have AC & HRV (hopefully).

Any recommendation for fixtures? Hybrids?

Tank will be approx, 6' x 30"W...
For example: I was thinking 6 x kessils as an option

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I think unless you just go led your maintenance costs will probably be about the same either way. If it was me id run halides mixed with led. Best color/growth imo.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:35 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

ATI. Sleek brushed aluminum fixtures, and high output. I use all T5 on my SPS.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents:
Metal halides with LED supplementation if you want faster growth and controllable colour. T5's if you want a little less heat and space savings. Less shadow than LED.
LED's if you want ultimate colour control and ramping, but don't mind gambling on growth rates and coral colour.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

For absolute best color, I still go with 400w radium. If I had to factor in aesthetics, I'd probably go for the ATI hybrid light. Although, aesthetics was a big concern on my current build, and I think I did a reasonable job with my canopy.
Power is about the same, depending on what you spend, long term may be the same. I'm pretty sure all my old LED pendants are all dead, less than 4 years old.
All T5 is nice, but no shimmer is a deal breaker for me. You're used to MH, you'd miss it.
LED has ramping effects, that's something I miss from the LED units. The hybrid would give you all of that, maybe even color to rival MH.

While I bash LED often enough, if I had to rate color with MH being a 10, LED would still be an 8.5. T5 I give a 9.

Modern LED get points for low profile fancy looks when that has a big component to your build. While my canopy looks good, it is bigger than any LED fixture.

If I had bought the ATI hybrid as my first LED system, I may have stuck with it. Big initial price though.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:51 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Metal halides with LED supplementation if you want faster growth and controllable colour.
I do like this option best, just not aware of any turn-key setups. If your building skills aren't high end, DIY might not meet the aesthetics factor.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I do like this option best, just not aware of any turn-key setups. If your building skills aren't high end, DIY might not meet the aesthetics factor.
Reefbrite has a metal halide/led hybrid. I just set mine up a week ago and so far love it. Got mine from a fellow hobbyist

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Reefbrite has a metal halide/led hybrid. I just set mine up a week ago and so far love it. Got mine from a fellow hobbyist
Not a bad offering, but depending on what you're after for looks, still a bit industrial looking. IT does give options though, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I left all halide fixtures out of the equation because he said this...

Quote:
The tank will be a focal point for sure, it will be in the front of the house, dividing the formal dining room and the family room.

1. Aesthetics is a huge factor for me. It has to look clean & modern
Though Giesemann and Sfiligoi both put out nice DE halide fixtures that are pretty sleek. Some are even available in white. Imo you won't get a SE halide fixture that look sleek. ATI has a T5 + LED fixture that's been getting rave reviews, but I haven't seen it running over a tank in person. Radions are definitely still the "hardcore SPS fanatic" go-to.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If I had bought the ATI hybrid as my first LED system, I may have stuck with it. Big initial price though.

Agreed. I wish I had just stuck with it when it was first ordered. Spent more than that since on different leds.

Tags
lighting sps