Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Very mature rock

So my current system has been up and running for close to 3 years and my rock is quite encrusted with all sorts of material from algae to coral to everything in between and I figure I have maybe 2 more good years out of the rock currently in my tank before the holes get covered by coral, detritus and algae. I have blown the rock I can reach with a turkey Baster but as I have a deep tank and way too much rock I cannot reach about half my rock without destroying the current habitat I have which I don't want to do at this time

My question is how do those of you with mature reef systems prolong the life of your rock?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
So my current system has been up and running for close to 3 years and my rock is quite encrusted with all sorts of material from algae to coral to everything in between and I figure I have maybe 2 more good years out of the rock currently in my tank before the holes get covered by coral, detritus and algae. I have blown the rock I can reach with a turkey Baster but as I have a deep tank and way too much rock I cannot reach about half my rock without destroying the current habitat I have which I don't want to do at this time

My question is how do those of you with mature reef systems prolong the life of your rock?
I just blow it out with a turkey baster to the best of my abilities and keep the water quality up so it will not foul up the LR. I am currently servicing a tank that's close to 5 years old, when I first started the tank had crazy nutrient levels, I did just that to bring everything to normal range and now the LR is getting covered with coraline algae again and water parameter is good, IMO, I don't think the LR ever goes "bad".

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 10-27-2016, 06:04 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

The average age of my rock is about 10 years so I think you've got a ways to go. About once a year or so I try to pick up a new piece and sell an old one to reintroduce some biodiversity or clean things up a bit if a rock is thoroughly covered in coral. I don't believe that rock goes bad either but I do wonder about what is going on at the microscopic scale in a closed system as the years go by. My worry is that our tanks lose biodiversity as certain organisms and bacteria dominate.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour