Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

haha reminds me of the time i went to fishytimes house the first time ever and i was trying to look for the address on the building at night time and as soon as Terry and I were with in sight of his house we had to laugh because we didnt need to know his address but look for the insane glow of the lights haha
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

yea the glow of my lights is strong enough that the lamp pole in front of my house glows blue... so does everything els on my lawn.. till ten anyways
Old 03-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Hmm. I'm surprised that no one picked up on this sooner (or commented). Maybe it takes someone who is an avid indoor gardener and 'reefer' to see the similarities.

For effective flowering and fruiting, plants need a fair amount of the red spectrum that is lacking in higher K bulbs (part of the reason those bulbs generally rate lower in PAR).
Im pretty sure a lot of people noticed... just nobody commented on it?

Not that im trying to cut in to what your saying, but blue light (/wavelengths of light) actually has higher energy than green light, and much higher energy than red light. The larger the wavelength, the lower the energy (blue = 400-450nm while red = 600-690 ish). Recently we determined the rate of photosynthesis in spinach cells when exposed to different colours of light, it occured most effectively with exposure to blue light. The absorption of blue light by the photocells was about 50%, while with red light it was about 12% and green light like 5%. Though green light has a higher energy content than red light, I guess the plants do not absorb this as much? They appear green because they reflect back most of the green light.

So because of the benefit from the blue spectrum, I dont understand why higher K bulbs do not produce better plant growth? You mentioned the red seems correlated with flowering and fruiting? Is that the reason the lower K ratings are preffered?

Also just a note for anybody - The colour temperatures we use with our hobby are simply 'Correlated Colour Temperatures', meaning the temperature we interpret the light to be. If we were talking actual colour temperature, a blue light (around 420nm, like actinic) is actually around 7200 degrees kelvin. A crisp white would be around 42-4700 IIRC? And 'yellow' plant bulbs are in the 3000's. Correct me if im wrong.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

as fas as I understand, it's not enough to just talk about red yellow blue etc light. When it comes to photosynthesis it's all about PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). Different processes involved in growth are triggered by specific wavelengths as well. For example in "sun plants" vertical growth is increased with greater far red to red light exposure. Absorption of the different wavelengths mediates phytochrome activity (which is associated with vertical growth, flowering, fruiting and a bunch of other things), but not photosynthesis.

On the topic of equipment, little of reefing equipment is novel. For example, plant growers were using halides and T5s long before we were.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

It is far too tempting to try growing in my Paludarium.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

interesting thought, I wonder if growing pot in a dart frog tank would make for... upgraded pot. Diana, you could revolutionize BC's marijuana industry (or kill it off, I'm not sure what would happen)!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I've had several friends stop by and mention I should use the tank or at least the overspill from the lights to grow something. I just laugh.

I love that you mention Progressive Reef, I've been there a number of times and am always fascinated at how complex it can be to grow tomatoes. They've got some really neat setups in there and I'm always trying to figure out how I can apply them to reefing (ahem, I mean saltwater fish tanks ).

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Just be thankful we dont get the munchies for reefing, well maybe some types of reefing
Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
as fas as I understand, it's not enough to just talk about red yellow blue etc light. When it comes to photosynthesis it's all about PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). Different processes involved in growth are triggered by specific wavelengths as well. For example in "sun plants" vertical growth is increased with greater far red to red light exposure. Absorption of the different wavelengths mediates phytochrome activity (which is associated with vertical growth, flowering, fruiting and a bunch of other things), but not photosynthesis.

On the topic of equipment, little of reefing equipment is novel. For example, plant growers were using halides and T5s long before we were.
Bingo! From an evolutionary stand point this makes perfect sense, you collect what is most readily available for energy and as water filters out longer wave lengths first it makes sense that dinoflagellatic photosynthesis relies on bluer pigments.

I laugh at myself every time I have fish people over because the first thing I do is hide the bong. Only to realize that 75% of you probably smoke more pot than I do .
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 AM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Bingo! From an evolutionary stand point this makes perfect sense, you collect what is most readily available for energy and as water filters out longer wave lengths first it makes sense that dinoflagellatic photosynthesis relies on bluer pigments.

I laugh at myself every time I have fish people over because the first thing I do is hide the bong. Only to realize that 75% of you probably smoke more pot than I do .
Must be why your Zoa elite and not SPS elite, I was gonna dose the zeo then I got high.......