Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
. This tank will be perfect, then I'll upgrade, and then it will go to crap again. I know this because I've already been through this once before.

At least I'm prepared.
I didn't hit perfect UNTIL I upgraded, so there is hope
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Oh ya, no doubt the change in lights was a catalyst, but not the source or everyone with LED would have cyano. It feeds on nutrients, so as long as you manage what goes in, the nutrient it's using will be a limiting factor and once it's consumed, the slime will disappear.
Oh, I don't think the Sols are causing, but rather that they assisted in providing an optimal environment for it. I've got to be close to the end of this. The nutrients have been cut down so far that there can't be much left for it to consume.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Or you could sell the pesky soft stuff and buy more SPS. Ok, I'm biased
No way! I love my soft stuff. And, my little guy loves to watch them eat. They really captivate him and stimulate his interest in aquatics. The plate I purchased a while back is finally eating and he's told everyone at daycare about it. The NC24 will have some soft stuff, but only what will thrive under optimal conditions for the SPS.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
No way! I love my soft stuff. And, my little guy loves to watch them eat.
fine, I guess that's a good reason -lol
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 AM

camaro7019 is on a distinguished road

enigma, put your ai sols at 50/50/50 accross the board, 30 is still to low, your sps and even lps will hurt from it being so low start at 50% then slowly ramp 5-10% weekly, i skipped the weekly part and went from 50 - 80 in a week then to 100 2 days later im impatient haha! nothing died nothing bleached or was hurt they all flourish!! trust me 50/50/50 or even 60//60/50white up to you but your lights are still to low
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro7019 View Post
enigma, put your ai sols at 50/50/50 accross the board, 30 is still to low, your sps and even lps will hurt from it being so low start at 50% then slowly ramp 5-10% weekly, i skipped the weekly part and went from 50 - 80 in a week then to 100 2 days later im impatient haha! nothing died nothing bleached or was hurt they all flourish!! trust me 50/50/50 or even 60//60/50white up to you but your lights are still to low
I did 35/35/30 (white) for most of the day today. Nothing but my plate looks worse. Hammer coral looks the same. Other lps and softies may look a touch better (but they looked good to begin with). No change in SPS.

I think I can do 40/40/35 tomorrow without having a complete psychological melt down. If nothing implodes/explodes/melts/whatnot then I'll bump it up again by 5% the following day. I'm typically very cautious with this system, so I just don't think I can double the light in a day.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Just a guy..

I'd leave it there for a couple days before bumping up. No rush, nothing good is going to happen overnight, and not doing anything isn't likely to be detrimental either. Spread it out over 10 - 14 days.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

I fought cyano for months. It cleared up when I stopped feeding frozen foods. I feed strictly flake /pellet now and use the frozen as a treat (once every couple weeks at most), IMHO frozen foods is EVIL

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I'd leave it there for a couple days before bumping up. No rush, nothing good is going to happen overnight, and not doing anything isn't likely to be detrimental either. Spread it out over 10 - 14 days.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I fought cyano for months. It cleared up when I stopped feeding frozen foods. I feed strictly flake /pellet now and use the frozen as a treat (once every couple weeks at most), IMHO frozen foods is EVIL
The bad news is that my Banghii Cardinal, Scooter Dragonet, and Twin Spot Goby only eat frozen. I would love to cut out frozen so I could go back to my automatic feeder, but those three just won't be swayed from their meaty morsels.

The great news is that I've got two tough to feed fish (dragonet and goby) who eagerly chase and pluck food out of the water column. I can maybe cut back a bit more on it, keep the pellet eaters (clowns and fox face) fed and happy with pellets, and hopefully reduce the competition for the frozen so I can feed less of it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

yeah that's always the problem...darn finicky fishes!!

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca