Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

[quote=GreenSpottedPuffer;388880]Live with it. Healthy fish will not die of ich. I know so many people now with large tanks, many large fish and most have ich in the tank. I have had ich in my tanks for years now and never lost a fish excpet in QT.

My Tusk still has some ich but long as he is eating, not rubbing and acting normal, he is fine.

You will notice break outs will become less and less severe as time goes on. Eventually they just kind of show up for a day or two here and there.

I think your on the right track though. I would try to get the tank stocked relatively soon and then do not add more fish. Just let them deal with the ich thats there. If you keep adding fish, you will generally see flare ups each time the new guy goes in.

I know this and I agree. But when i saw the Ich on my new $200 fish I kinda panicked. IMO new tanks and Ich go hand in hand. When I set up the 90g over a year ago I had small outbreaks of Ich for the first few months. Never lost a fish. I haven't seen any signs of it for at least 6 months now. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing: feeding twice a day and using garlic and Selcon like I always do. The Tusk is eating well and aside from the few spots on him looks to be in great health. I've been feeding him clam meat, mussels and mysis. He's a little smaller than yours I think; about 5.5" Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Need a hand with anything let me know, I do have a 30 gal quarantine up and running right now if you manage to catch him. Might also have some reef safe ich meds around somewhere.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Need a hand with anything let me know, I do have a 30 gal quarantine up and running right now if you manage to catch him. Might also have some reef safe ich meds around somewhere.
I think catching him would just stress him. He's doing fine and the Ich is in the system anyway. I'll just hold tight and see how it goes. Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 AM

Default Update

So, Sydney the Aussie Tuskfish is looking much better. He's shaken off the Ich and doing well. I've been feeding him mysis, clams, shrimp, and scallops soaked in garlic and Selcon. Dave lent me a honkin' big 25 watt UV sterilizer. All fish look clean.

Ever see 12 Chromis disappear in a flash. When the Tusker went in the tank the chromis were gone in a blink of an eye. I couldn't see one anywhere. They figured they were dinner for sure! No worries though, he totally ignores them and everyone else. At feeding time though, one of those stupid little Chromis is going to get its head bitten off if they don't learn to leave his clam meat alone.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 AM

A couple of new corals I got from Oceanic.

A Yellow Tipped Torch Coral. Good size frag and good price too.

And a Bloody Mary Micromussa. It's much brighter than it looks in this pic. The Coralife MH that came with this fixture are terrible: They've definitely got to go. I think I'll replace them with Phoenix 14K.

And a FTS for good measure. The Hair Algae is nearly gone now and Corraline is already starting to grow.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

My bloody mary looks better than yours, maybe I should bring you yours and take mine Nice to see the tusk recovering, tank looks good.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw his name is Sydney!

Tanks is looking great though Lance. Can't wait to see it a year from now when everything is filling in
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
My bloody mary looks better than yours, maybe I should bring you yours and take mine Nice to see the tusk recovering, tank looks good.
Nah, you keep that one. You did all the work. Besides, if it's that much better I'll just come and get a frag in a couple of months.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

We used to have a mamoth jack mule named sydney, he was a terrorist in disguise with a wicked sense of humour. I hope for your sake it wasn't the name

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw his name is Sydney!

Tanks is looking great though Lance. Can't wait to see it a year from now when everything is filling in

The wife feels the need to name every single fish.

She hasn't got round to the 12 Chromis yet though. (Alan, Bill, Carl, Dean, Edward, Freddie,..............