Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
The gentlemen who penned that piece is a Mr. Neil Brooks. A little googling confirms thats Mr. Brooks is a contributor to the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA). It would also appear that the CCPA is left wing organization, largely funded by unions and ran by unions leaders. Therefore, it is no surprise that Mr. Brooks, nor the CCPA would hold the opinion that we are overtaxed.

So you dont think we are over taxed?? Cool, then you can pay my share too then

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

I wonder how many doctors you have standing by your bedside 24 hrs a day for $ 20,000/day. My grandmother's friend had a heart attack in the U.S. and no insurance, for the 20 days in hospital the bill was $400,000 This retired couple had to sell their house and move into an apartment.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 AM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The gentlemen who penned that piece is a Mr. Neil Brooks. A little googling confirms thats Mr. Brooks is a contributor to the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA).
Googles first link shows he is a full Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and is director of the Graduate Program in Taxation. He is the past Associate Dean of the Law School and has taught at the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Illinois. He received is BA at the University of Alberta in 1966 and his law Degree at UBC in 1969. He has been on advisory commitees for the Auditor General and Revenue Canada. He was the editor of the Canadian Tax Journal and besides the CCPA has also been published by such diverse journals as the Australian GST Journal, the Portfolio Committee on Finance for the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa and the Harvard Institute for International Development..

By contrast, the primary researcher for tax freedom day for the Fraser institute is Niels Veldhuis. He is the Director of Fisical Studies for the Fraser Institute. He has a bachelors in Business Administration and Masters in Economics from SFU and teaches economics at Kwantlen College in Richmond. He received his Masters in 2000 but has apparently never been published in any academic journal - only Fraser Institute publications.

Quote:
It would also appear that the CCPA is left wing organization, largely funded by unions and ran by unions leaders. Therefore, it is no surprise that Mr. Brooks, nor the CCPA would hold the opinion that we are overtaxed.
The Fraser Institute's inital funding in 1974 was from Macmillian Blodell. Between 2003 & 2004, they received 120,000 from Exxon Mobile - in February 2007 the released an "independant summary" on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's report. Not surprisingly, they discounted the UN's conclusions on global warming.

The Fraser Institute has sought and received funding from Rothmans, British American Tobacco and Philip Morris. In 1999, The Fraser Institue published the book "Passive Smoke - The EPA's Betrayal of Science and Policy" which questions the link between smoking and cancer

Looking at who funds the Fraser Institute, the lack of qualifications of their authors and their disregard for proper scientific research methodology, it is no surprise that they hold the opinion that we are overtaxed.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 AM

scub steve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINT View Post
I have been taxed $1700 in 1 check.That was a big chunk of change for them in my 2 weeks of hard work.I wish they only took so much then said hey thats enough this check maybe this guy deserves to keep some more of his money.LOL.Oh well what do you do.Clint
im taxed 1700 in every check it hurts
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Almost seems the folks that pay lots of tax are outnumbered by those that pay small amounts.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 AM

vazgor is on a distinguished road
Default taxes??

yea im with the last guy when i work a shutdown and am working 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week taxes are around 1700 a week then there are the union dues
now the last time i whent off on a rant about our government i was nicely edited so i wont bother this time but i shure would like to see what a politican sees on his pay stub next to fed tax and then prov tax
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

When I used to do shutdowns, Average tax I paid for 2 weeks was around $2500-3000. Thank god I am getting to old for that many hrs......Oh wait, I still pay about that with my Electricians pay, and my Powdercoat buisness income

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-25-2008, 02:59 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scub steve View Post
im taxed 1700 in every check it hurts
When your complaining that your tax bill is larger than my net paycheck, I have absolutely zero sympathy for you.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

That's a little harsh. Do you think we should all earn the same, regardless of what we do, how hard we work, or what or level of education is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
When your complaining that your tax bill is larger than my net paycheck, I have absolutely zero sympathy for you.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's a little harsh. Do you think we should all earn the same, regardless of what we do, how hard we work, or what or level of education is?
Certainly not, but someone who is obviously making a substantial income should not be complaining about paying their taxes. I'm certain they still have lots of after tax dollars left over to spend, probably lots left after paying all the bills too. Why should I have sympathy for them?

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.