Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 AM

IronChefItaly is on a distinguished road

Well after much consideration I headed out today and returned with my anthias - the serranocirrhitus latus aka Fathead Sunburst Anthias. I've been active in the hobby for nearly two years and this was the first I've come across. Its coloration is brilliant and I couldn't be any happier, it was perfect timing really. Seems to be in good health, took to the acclimation quite well and by evening it was already out in the open. I've read that they can be picky eaters so I'm absolutely open to recommendations. I picked up some R.O.E by Reef Nutrition to try first thing tomorrow and also have brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and calanus copepods which I quite like.

I've redesigned my 20 gallon quarantine system complements of Myka and a few others on Reef2Reef. Black foam board now surrounds two sides that face into the room while the other two face a broad open window which will provide the only source of light for the fish. In addition, I plan to reduce the salinity from 1.020 SG to 1.018 and rely mostly on Seachem's Metroplex and Kanaplex for broad range treatment beginning 24 hours from acclimation. Being that I am no longer using extreme hyposalinity I decided to load the quarantine with liverock and media bags of Seachem Matrix matured from my display. I was quite mindful in the placement to not create any dead zones that are inaccessible from my siphon. I intend to carry out 35% water changes twice a week, 1 part fresh salt mix and 1 part salt water from my display.
I'll update as I go along and would very much appreciate if anyone has any input or recommendations. A great thank you for the comments thus far as I could have been headed for a complete disaster.

Tags
aggression, anthias, compatibility, stocking