Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting for a 30g with SPS.

I have decided to take the plunge into sps before Christmas. I have a few questions though. I DO NOT want to skimp on the lighting and I am looking at some Hamilton or PFO canopies from J&L. Since I live in a condo, The max size tank I would feel safe keeping is a 50, I have a 30 right now but I may want to upgrade. I want sufficient light, but a canopy that can be placed on a larger tank down the road. What wattage would you guys suggest? I have a 30incch long tank that is 18 inches deep. I was eyeing some of those 96wx2 pc and 400w x 2 mh fixtures...is this too much? My knowledge on MH lighting is limited. I also keep a bunch of softies like leathers, zoos, button polyps, hammers, torches, etc and i do not want them to be fried. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I run 250w MH on a 33g tank with sps frags. That 96w PC is not enough. T5 might also be another solution
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Does this system have a sump? Also, I would decide if you ever want to have a 4' tank before you buy your lighting as this is not an inexpensive purchase.

I would consider a high output T5 set-up for the system. While halides are great, the heat they produce on such a small system may be a little stressful for SPS, specially in the absence of a sump.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Does this system have a sump? Also, I would decide if you ever want to have a 4' tank before you buy your lighting as this is not an inexpensive purchase.
No, unfortunately I don't have a sump. I have thought about making a 10gallon one in the past,, but it has never happened. What would the advantage be as far as lighting? More water to absorb heat?

Secondly, I have seen foot long pendants hanging over large tanks. They don't take up the entire length of the tank. Would that be possible with a 30 inch canopy?

Quote:
I would consider a high output T5 set-up for the system. While halides are great, the heat they produce on such a small system may be a little stressful for SPS, specially in the absence of a sump.
Never really considered T5's. Aren't they just like Pc's though with a little added horsepower? Something for me to look in to.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
I run 250w MH on a 33g tank with sps frags. That 96w PC is not enough. T5 might also be another solution
You don't have problems with heat? does the canopy rest on the tank, or is it elevated? DO you find it agitates any softies or lps (if you have any)?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

250w DE on a 25 Gal and I had to run a chiller fans would not cut it on my tank.
Mostly SPS and there is such a thing as too much light at least on my tank.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 AM

hmm. I was hoping to put my chiller away soon... I guess to could elevate the light. I just don't want to buy something sub-par, I have done so in the past. I really want to do MH, but if it gets too hot I may have to consider alternatives.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 AM

cdhollan is on a distinguished road

I have a 30 gallon, 30 inches long, and 18 inches deep as well. I am running a 250 MH DE Phoenix 14k. I got pc actinics too but i am switching those out for T5 KZ Fijii Purples. i also do not have a sump. My tank is in my basement and i do not have any problems with heat. I only have a few SPS corals but they are all doing well and growing and have nice color. i got my fixture off of ebay and just switched out the bulbs, because i had a very hard time finding a fixture to fit a 30 in long tank.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

If you go with a single 250w MH pendant then you have the option of setting the height to help your corals and also to regulate your heat a little. Also you can upgrade in the future to a larger tank and just add 1 or 2 more pendants.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

At 18" deep I would recommend 250w. I've done 400w on tanks about that depth or shallower, and in the end it took longer for SPS to acclimate to the light, and was more expensive to run. It was also quite warm both for the tank and the room itself.

A good quality reflector will take you further then a less good reflector with the same bulb & ballast set up. At 30" wide (I am assuming) you could get away with one bulb and a good reflector, e.g. luminarc mini + bulb & ballast of your choice. However you mentioned wanting to go with an all in one set up, and I don't know enough about them to comment.