Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-06-2015, 02:57 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

WTH ??
Maybe I missed it ... do you have any idea what caused this?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:20 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear 0f all the problems you are having. Hopefully its on the mend and won't slip backward.
I can't help you, sorry
Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
WTH ??
Maybe I missed it ... do you have any idea what caused this?
Yes. It's all outlined in the previous post. Te short of it is that I'm pretty sure the resuming of the vinegar started it, then I accidentally roasted the corals with the light, and then there was the alk spike. It was like a 1 2...then 3 punch.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-06-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:47 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for summarizing it for us old folks
Hope you get a grip on it

Goes to show that even a well-seasoned reefer can/will have problems - not just newbs. It's definitely making me re-visit my habits etc.
Thanks for posting Mindy
Old 11-06-2015, 02:50 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yes. It's all outlined in the previous post. Te short of it is that I'm pretty sure the resuming of the vinegar started it, then I accidentally roasted the corals with the light, and then there was the alk spike. It was like a 1 2...then 3 punch.
ouch.. Yup, the classic, "A Series of Unfortunate Events" syndrome. That'll do it every time.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:54 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Well that sucks. Hows bout just sticking to water changes and stop fiddeling? Not trying to be rude or harsh and sorry if it sounds that way. I've had most problems when I was tweaking this or that and adding different supplements etc. Strictly water changes for me for the last couple of years and been smooth ever since. Good luck
Old 11-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Well that sucks. Hows bout just sticking to water changes and stop fiddeling? Not trying to be rude or harsh and sorry if it sounds that way. I've had most problems when I was tweaking this or that and adding different supplements etc. Strictly water changes for me for the last couple of years and been smooth ever since. Good luck
No, I don't take you as rude or harsh. I wasn't really fiddling though. I wasn't doing anything that I didn't do to previous tanks. I was only dosing kalk + vinegar, nitrate, and feeding lots. If the corals weren't starving to begin with then I don't think the reaction would have been so severe. They were running on hopes and dreams because the tank was unintentionally ULNS. Adding the vinegar back into the kalk was definitely a mistake - I didn't expect it to make that much difference since I had been using it previously and it really wasn't much vinegar per day. Ok I did learn from that, "Don't underestimate vinegar." That's what started the STN (4 days after adding the vinegar back in). The sudden increase in lighting was mainly because of my unfamiliarity with the dimming feature of the new fixture and I didn't recognize the symptoms of alk burn because the corals were already STN'ing. There was also some significant health issues in my immediate family too, so my own tank was on the back burner. That didn't help.

I have some inexpensive frags coming from Canada Corals next week to "test the waters", and we'll be back on track in no time.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM

So, kind of a funny story...

...I asked the LFS to let me know the next time he's doing an order that has Ignitus (Flame) Anthias available and I can give that another go. So I'm on vacay last week and not paying attention much and he texts me, "Do you want some Flavo Anthias"? I'm like ya, sure. In my mind I was thinking he mis-typed "Flame", and it didn't even occur to me that the Red Saddled Anthias is Pseudanthias flavoguttatus. So I go in there a couple days ago and ask when are the Ignitus showing up? He tells me they aren't Ignitus, they are Flavo. I'm like, shiat. They are a deeper water species and they are coming from Philippines so I was a bit concerned for their health/acclimation, plus I'm also worried they might be a shy fish in a high light tank like mine. Plus, I just don't know much about this particular species.

I did some research, and it seems like they acclimate both to captivity and higher light better than a lot of other deep water Anthias. It probably helps that they really aren't super deep - Fish Base says 60-200 ft. They get a bit bigger than I was hoping - the males will get a tad over 4" and the females not a lot smaller. The Flame Anthias is more in the 3-3.5" range. However, the Red Saddled Anthias females are almost as colorful as males.

So I go in yesterday to check them out and only one arrived. However, and that's a big HOWEVER, there was a trio of Dwarf Pintail Fairy Wrasses! I only brought one home though - a female that's starting to transition. SO STOKED! I've been asking my LFS to get this fish for almost a year.

So I get the two fish home and put them in my QT with some other small fish that are in there. Let me tell you, this Anthias is beautiful!!! Both fish are eating today. I can't wait to get them in my display.

Not my pic:

From Reef Builders. http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/02/p...lds-aquariums/

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-07-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 PM

F.H is on a distinguished road

Both fish that are on my wish list, haha congrats. Flavo anthias is a stunner for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 PM

Goodies from Canada Corals.

This one I picked up for a buddy:

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-20-2015 at 12:12 AM.