Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 AM

oilfieldsafety is on a distinguished road
Default Help

So I'm still setting up my 90 and I took apart the return pump to find that it is trashed. I was thinking about replacing it with a Sedra since they are on sale at J&L. Can anyone give me some feedback on these pumps any problems? How quiet are they? Should I look at something differant? Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Shane
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

my skimmer been running 3 years trouble free with a Sedra 5000. Took it apart about a month ago and noticed a little bit of wear between the impeller and shaft but still quiet in the sump.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:36 AM

richtg is on a distinguished road

I recently had to replace the impeller on my sedra 5000, but had it for 5 years. (mine has the needle wheel for skimmer).

I've heard that many other people have had to replace these impellers after relatively short lives because they swell with corrosion between the impeller magnet and the casing.

They may have rectified the problem by now.

My Mak 4 has been running for 4 1/2 years pushing water up 6 feet. Great pump for the price. 1200gph. around $220 i think
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.