Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
This is a really beautiful tuskfish, I did a lot of reading on them after I saw them on Jls new and noteworthy and there is a good chance it will mellow out once everyone builds a pecking order...hopefully without anyone joining the damsel....
+1, hopefully it works out... he is a beautiful fish!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
Shortly after you got the Tusk from J&L I was in the store and the other tusk they had took out a Coral beauty angel. Jason McK witnessed it and I saw the after math.

Chris
Whoa! A Coral Beauty? Man I thought he may just stick to the small fish. I have to keep a close eye on him now.

Quote:
oh man.
Thats one of the aussie ones from JL?

that sux big time.

Hopefully he comes around for ya.
Thanks! Yeah he was the Aussie species from J&L. I had wanted one for soooo long but now I am kind of unsure. For the most part they tend to be calm and peaceful (other than to inverts) but it sounds like the two J&L had are a little nuts. And he is only going to get bigger and bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Sorry to hear that. I know you were very excited to get that beautiful fish. This hobby has this very frustrating aspect that it seems impossible to keep everything you want at the same time. Can't have your clams and your angels too...Can't have your triggerfish and inverts...Can't have your Lookdown and coral gobies too...etc. etc.

I suppose this is the reason that multiple-tank-syndrome is such a problem for us!
Yeah your right about that...it can be hard. I knew it was a risk but I never really thought he would kill fish. This morning they were all moved into the new tank and he seems much calmer. Actually all the fish do. Its amazing how differently they act in a bigger tank. Especially since its quite wide and they can really cruise around. The tangs and tusk are certainly using the entire tank and look at least a bit more natural than they did in my smaller tank. Hopefully this will help.

Quote:
every time I see how hard my two clown gobies are on my sps frags, I think about your lookdown brad....lol

This is a really beautiful tuskfish, I did a lot of reading on them after I saw them on Jls new and noteworthy and there is a good chance it will mellow out once everyone builds a pecking order...hopefully without anyone joining the damsel....

Heres hoping for the best case scenario.
Thanks again...make sure you really think about it if your still considering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
+1, hopefully it works out... he is a beautiful fish!
Thanks! He sure is. Might regret this one day but I am going to keep him and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

no way man.
I had convinced myself they were docile, or that I would by luck of the draw get a docile one and would add it last, etc, etc, etc...

At the very least, that's one beautiful fish you've got and very good of you to share the experience with it for the rest of us who's eyes are bigger than their tanks....
Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

I assume we are talking about one of these??
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
I assume we are talking about one of these??
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Yes the Australian one.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

So far mine has been a model citizen. (fingers crossed) He too is an Aussie but came in on a later shipment from yours. He's been in the tank for a little over a week. I read a good article on these fish by Robert Fenner, who considers them mostly a good community fish. They tend to leave other fish alone and fish leave them alone. Trouble seems to come from live-food feedings, which can bring out the aggression in them. Have you fed it any live foods.
I hope yours calms down. Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
So far mine has been a model citizen. (fingers crossed) He too is an Aussie but came in on a later shipment from yours. He's been in the tank for a little over a week. I read a good article on these fish by Robert Fenner, who considers them mostly a good community fish. They tend to leave other fish alone and fish leave them alone. Trouble seems to come from live-food feedings, which can bring out the aggression in them. Have you fed it any live foods.
I hope yours calms down. Good Luck.
Hope, no live foods. He actually doesn't even eat inverts. Hes been fine for the month or so I have had him and just kind of snapped the other day. I have heard of it happening before, so I am not totally shocked I guess. Just disappointed.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Hope, no live foods. He actually doesn't even eat inverts. Hes been fine for the month or so I have had him and just kind of snapped the other day. I have heard of it happening before, so I am not totally shocked I guess. Just disappointed.

Well, I sure hope our Tuskers toe the line. They are such cool fish. I'd hate to have to give him up, but I won't keep a fish killer. Eating a small fish for food is one thing, but attacking and killing just for the sake of it is no good.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Well, I sure hope our Tuskers toe the line. They are such cool fish. I'd hate to have to give him up, but I won't keep a fish killer. Eating a small fish for food is one thing, but attacking and killing just for the sake of it is no good.
I agree. It was amazing how quickly he killed the damsel! Basically just bit the damsel once and ripped in half.

How big is yours?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I agree. It was amazing how quickly he killed the damsel! Basically just bit the damsel once and ripped in half.

How big is yours?

He's about 5"