Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2006, 06:22 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

If you are into the more rare dwarf angels, you could try a Multicolor angel. JL seems to have one at the moment.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
..... But a Mandarin is not a good choice for a tank that size. It need a much bigger system with a nice big fuge pumping out tons of pods. ......
If I may steer of topic for a sec, here.....I agree with the bigger sytem part, but a fuge of any size may not necessarily be required, IMO. IME....I have two Mandarins in a 180 with no fuge and they are both doing fine. The system is big enough to provide sufficient pods without a fuge.

Cheers,
Old 03-18-2006, 06:48 PM

J Feez is on a distinguished road

I actually already have my clownfish. The LFS told me they were false, but I guess because they have hosted the anenome in my tank that they are true. They do have really neat patterns.

I was under the impression that you kind of had to buy fire fish in pairs. I was told that they would do better like that.

39 gallon Reef (39lbs of LR)
1 - Coral Beauty
1 - False percula clown
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
4 - Algea Eating Hermits
2 - Turbo Snails
Old 03-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

i've read that a mandarin in the wild needs like 2 acres to roam around and feed to keep it healthy (that is without a fresh supply of copepods added to the tank, which i think might be hard to do in edmonton)
if i can find the article i will post it.

i can't find the article, but here is a neat think on mandarins....

http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

Last edited by Pan; 03-18-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:49 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Feez
I actually already have my clownfish. The LFS told me they were false, but I guess because they have hosted the anenome in my tank that they are true. They do have really neat patterns.

I was under the impression that you kind of had to buy fire fish in pairs. I was told that they would do better like that.
just because they host an anemone does not make them false or true...both host aneome's as well as both suometimes won't in captivity...
Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

What's all this false and true silliness when it comes to percula clowns Either the clown is a percula or it's an ocellaris

BTW, I have a pair of captive bred ocellaris hosting in a GBTA. They were 2+ years old when I introduced to the GBTA's tank, and they hosted within a couple of days after being added to the tank.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 03-18-2006, 10:42 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

yay for angels. i've got a singapore, koran and emporer had a potters too but it went missing...

go for some purple firefish, they're a great conversational piece for tanks...especially for people that don't normally get to see a marine setup.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:09 PM

J Feez is on a distinguished road

Ok well I took the plunge. I've gone with a Coral Beauty. Because I'm a rookie SW Fish keeper, I decided to go with one of the hardier dwarf angel's. It took me almost an hour to decide, but I think it was the right decision. She's sitting in the bag right now acclimatizing. My next tank is going to be at least a 120 because I really want a Koran!

39 gallon Reef (39lbs of LR)
1 - Coral Beauty
1 - False percula clown
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
4 - Algea Eating Hermits
2 - Turbo Snails
Old 03-19-2006, 04:14 AM

Xtasia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Xtasia
Default on Firefish..

"It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but is territorial, and will fight with its own kind unless they are a mated pair."
- Source: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=173

"They are said to be social...but I have read all too often that people keep them in large groups and little by little they begin to disappear until only one is left. Because of this I would only keep them in mated pairs (if you were lucky enough to find one) or singly."
- Source: http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_firefish.php

"Regardless of that fact, firefish are not 'grouping' or 'schooling' fish. They do tend to group up as juveniles, however once they reach maturity (and even sometimes before so) they are highly aggressive and territorial fish towards other firefish within the group. It is best to always purchase firefish singly and never as a pair or group. Many vendors are now marketing 'mated pairs' of firefish, however even these fish will turn on each other in relatively short time."
- Source: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/drtfshselfaqs.htm

"I've been reading up on Firefish a bit, and from your site I've found that they don't do well unless they are in pairs.
<true for most... but they need to select their own pairs... as in, having been caught as a pair or forming a pair in captivity upon re-establishment>
I was told by a fellow reefer that unless you get two of opposite sex, once mature they will kill each other. Is this true?
<not so absolute... many aquarists enjoy various numbered populations... the key is larger aquaria with peaceful tankmates. If you have a smaller tank (under 100 gallons) do be sure to see that the pair behave as if pair bonded in your merchants tank and do so for more than a week after import."
- Source: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/drtfshselfaqs.htm