Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Great build Catherine! Most of us only dream of a tank like this.

Anyways, I've been prepping for a large build (although not quite the size of yours) and after reading as much as I could, it seems to me that an HRV has benefits above and beyond that of the humidex. While the Humidex seems aimed at the humidity issue, the HRV is more of a total home solution that handles the humidity too. It also seems to be the more accepted technology out there from a builders perspective.

Quotes will obviously be the biggest deciding factor but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

HRV: AirPro Heating http://airproheatingairconditio.supersites.ca/contact/

They've done several installations for Calgary Canreefers (me included, did an A/C at the same time). They know their stuff, they'll take a look at your square footage and air volume and how much turnover you need to keep moisture under control. I can't recommend these guys enough. I have them do all my heating/ducting work now.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Wow Tony you're like a mind reader today.

I was just about to send you a PM about them! I booked an appointment for them to come out and let us know about HVAC for May 11th!

I have to do more research into HVAC. All I know right now is that we have a brandnew, as of 2008, furnance, and I'm hesitant to loose it. It and my 25 year old hot water tank only costs $33/month...so I'm kind of liking that number right now.

From my trusty notebook of ideas the list of humidity solutions in order goes: HVAC, Humidex, LOTS! of fans (this is so iffy its not even funny), and no tank.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

An HRV works alongside the furnace: It can either be standalone in a room and independent of the rest of the house, or it can also tie into the main vent and returns to have a "whole house effect" too (in this case I think there are some kind of interlocks to make the furnace fan run when the HRV is running). At any rate you wouldn't have to replace your new furnace.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Sweet! *insert happy dance here* That made my day!

I want to have these guys in ASAP so that while the ceiling is down they can possibly recommend some changes in the vents, plus install the HVAC, and we can make sure we have the proper space to accomodate it.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Amazing build

Wow Catherine this seems like its going to be an absolutely stunning show tank (and system)! Once its complete I would love to come drop off some free zoa frags as 10 feet is allot of area of cover =D!!! Can't wait to see some more photos of the build!
Levi

Last edited by Zoaelite; 04-28-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 AM

We'll be having a "Salt Party" in which we'll have everyone over and you'll get a bucket/bag of salt at the door and we'll all pour it into the system.

As for photos, I found a way around my iMac/Photobucket drama. This is photos up until tonight.

After the first stage of demos

More post-first stage demo

Some of the lovely things we found...

Inproper splice

More inproper splices

Low and behold the bathroom lamp had another bonus, a hidden transformer. Kevin guesses its for the doorbell.

Ripples in the ceiling from moisture? Where did the moisture come from?

With the bathroom ceiling down

The aftermath of the second stage demo, and where the basement is tonight. Plus some before and after shots.

1st-stage

2nd stage

1-stage

2nd stage
Old 04-29-2009, 03:46 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

bahaha omg that first splice pic is too funny. im 14 and could have done it better than that.

salt party,eh? maybe you shud have everyone bring 4 pounds of LR so you can start 'scaping ASAP
Old 04-29-2009, 03:48 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

[quote=michika;415611]

Some of the lovely things we found...

Inproper splice

More inproper splices

QUOTE]

Whats wrong with that?? all it's missing is a little hockey tape to hold it together I feel for you, I just opened up the panel to add a dedicated line for the fishroom and just about fainted, worst case of DIY electrical work I've ever seen, booked an electrician today to come and straighten it out asap.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 AM

I should! I'd be the entrance fee to come see Tibet! Although the downside is that we'd need to invite over like 200 people....so I'm thinking 40lbs a person, and children under 10 are 1/2 price!

Once most of the dusty portions of this demo/build are done we'll be starting to amass more rock and starting to cycle it all now in advance. Plus I want to try out a bunch of cool aquascaping ideas I have rattling around in my head.

And one last photo after the remaining demo.

All tired out...