Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 AM

Gordon H is on a distinguished road
Default Really confusing test kit instructions...

I just purchased a bunch of test kits from J&L. They recommended the Elos brand. I tried them on Saturday and was quite ****ed - each kit had conflicting instructions - within the kit itself!

For example, the paper instructions for the Phoshate test say to shake the solution for 5 minutes then place then place the vial on the colour chart to see the reading. The instructions on the colour chart itself, on the other hand, say to shake the solution for 2 minutes and then to place the vial 5 cm above the colour chart to see what the reading is.

On the paper instructions for the other test that I tried, the Nitrate test, it said to shake the solution for 5 minutes. On the colour chart itself, it said to shake the vial for 15 seconds then let it sit for 5 minutes.

Even if I find out which method is correct, it is going to be hard for me to have faith in a company that could put out multiple test kits with inconsistent instructions.

In addition, one of the glass vials was broken, and to top it all off, the saringe marked at 5 ml filled up more than the 5 ml line on the test vial.

Anyone else had good luck with these? Are there more consistent test kits out there? What do you recommend?

Cheers,
Gord.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Wow, that is a lot of shaking! I have tried the Salifert tests and they appear to be good. The Hagen kits are simple, but not that accurate.

I use my own reagents, but that is because I am a chemist and can access what I need easily and I'm cheap. LOL
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
to top it all off, the syringe marked at 5 ml filled up more than the 5 ml line on the test vial.
My syringe filled the vial more than 5 ml as well. I have used other syringe's and they fill the vial to exactly 5 ml.

This hobby is difficult enough with out the confusion these test kits bring. I find the majority of test kits are very difficult to get a reliable reading. They leave far to much to your interpretation.

Tom R
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
My syringe filled the vial more than 5 ml as well. I have used other syringe's and they fill the vial to exactly 5 ml.

This hobby is difficult enough with out the confusion these test kits bring. I find the majority of test kits are very difficult to get a reliable reading. They leave far to much to your interpretation.

Tom R

I agree.I have little faith in most of the test kits.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

...and of course the ELOS Alk kit where the instructions say each drop is 1dkh, when it is actually .5 dkh.

I don't understand why JL stopped selling Salifert and now only sells ELOS. So far, I'm not impressed with the ELOS and their ability to write decent instructions. OA sells the Salifert and they have my test-kit business now.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I don't understand why jl stopped selling salifert and now only sells elos. So far, i'm not impressed with the elos and their ability to write decent instructions. Oa sells the salifert and they have my test-kit business now.
+1