Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road
Default How to care of a baby mantis shrimp?

Hi, I got a large piece of liverock with zoanthids today and cut it in many pieces and found a baby mantis shrimp in there. I put it in my nano tank that is without any fish, just 2 small blue legged hermit crabs, liverock and macro algae, lots of pods.

It is currently light brown and about one inch in length. It has the mantis ball eyes and the claw. It is not an amphipods, it is much longer than any ampipods I have seen and it has a different shape. From the bubble eyes, I am guessing it is a mantis, but not sure.

How would to feed it and care for it? I don't have any pic because I was cought off guard and put it in the tank right away and it went hiding.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

first things first, are you sure its not a pistol shrimp?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM

born is on a distinguished road

I had a peacock and also took on my cousins hitchhiker who was a Gonodactylus childi.
With the smaller g.childi, take like a skewer with a small piece of shrimp at the end and see if it will come out and take it. or just drop in a small piece of shrimp by its den, it will likely find it.
He will also feed on your pods in the tank.
Just make sure your iodine levels are good for it to molt and look out for shell disease on him.

Here is a good site that I learnt a lot about mantis shrimp from,
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...html#directory
it's also a great place to find out exactly what species it is.
Roy studies stomatopods everyday, he's the guy who knows it all.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i had a g.smithi(???) mantis ,he was a smasher so stayed most of the time in his burrow, i would feed him mysis,brine and silversides. not sure what you would feed a baby though how small is it and any colour?? goodluck

ps. sometimes you may have to open his burrows door once he fills it to feed him
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 PM

No, it is not a regular shrimp as it has the very protruding bubble eyes that a mantis shrimp have.

The eyes are like balls on a stick and sticking out quite a bit. The pistol has regular shrimp eyes.

At first I thought it was a large amphipods but then I saw that it had a much longer and larger body and those strange eyes...then I realized it was a mantis.

this is what it look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
first things first, are you sure its not a pistol shrimp?

Last edited by daniella3d; 11-29-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 PM

I can't even see it now but I will add iodine in the tank to normal dosing level.

It went hiding in the jungle of cheato and macro-algae.

I have some fish roe (caplan eggs) that remain quite a long time in the tank without fooling, would it eat that?

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born View Post
I had a peacock and also took on my cousins hitchhiker who was a Gonodactylus childi.
With the smaller g.childi, take like a skewer with a small piece of shrimp at the end and see if it will come out and take it. or just drop in a small piece of shrimp by its den, it will likely find it.
He will also feed on your pods in the tank.
Just make sure your iodine levels are good for it to molt and look out for shell disease on him.

Here is a good site that I learnt a lot about mantis shrimp from,
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...html#directory
it's also a great place to find out exactly what species it is.
Roy studies stomatopods everyday, he's the guy who knows it all.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 AM

Pinchy is on a distinguished road

From my experience you will not need to feed it anything. Mine grew to a significant size without me feeding whatsoever. Actually I was hoping it would die, I finally caught it when i shutdown my nano and gave it away for free.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM
R.I.P.

mine starved.......it happens when its the only thing in your tank,pods are smart and stay away from predators once they know their territory...after a while he stopped coming for food even if i broke into his house with it.....i tried ots of different varety of food from fresh crab to pellets plus what i mentioned earlier.

not sure why he stopped eating as it seemed like he was enjoying the food but i wasnt sure of its age either
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM

My guess is that he could not molt. Shrimps stop eating before they molt and a very often cause of death for shrimps is when they cannot molt.

My pods are not very smart...when I clean my glass they don't even move so I pick them up with the rest. Amphipods hide but the smaller isopods and copepods are not moving much.

I do need to feed my 2 little crabs in there and I give them cyclopeeze or fish roe, so I guess the shrimp should eat that. Not sure if it will survive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
mine starved.......it happens when its the only thing in your tank,pods are smart and stay away from predators once they know their territory...after a while he stopped coming for food even if i broke into his house with it.....i tried ots of different varety of food from fresh crab to pellets plus what i mentioned earlier.

not sure why he stopped eating as it seemed like he was enjoying the food but i wasnt sure of its age either
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 AM
R.I.P.

its hard to say i had him for almost a year he ate like a champ and had a tank dedicated to him....i got him from a friend who also had him for a long time so its hard to say what went wrong.i do know that he slowly stopped coming out for food to the point where i couldnt entice him to eat even fresh crab(which he loved) im not even sure of their lifespan....mine was a g.smithi i would also feed him any live hermits or hitch hikers i could get from others or i found in my tank(as i hate crabs)

ive had a couple peacocks over the years but i found them very easy to take care of compared to the g.smithi

your crabs will probably be lunch when he gets bigger if you do set up a tank just for him use only one piece of liverock so you know where to find him come feeding time or if you dont see him in a long time

hahah makes me want to try another now hehehe goodluck im sure youll do fine with him