Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-01-2008, 03:58 AM

mildcustom2 is on a distinguished road
Default Back Home From My Trip To Newfoundland

So I made it back in one piece from my trip to an oil rig in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and much to my delight my brother didn't manage to wipe out my entire tank. He only managed to grow a large amount of Algae on the rocks and sand. Seems he didn't want to rinse the frozen foods before he put it in the tank. Not to mention I suspect he grossly over fed while I was away. Hello Nitrate and Phosphate city. Nothing a few water changes shouldn't correct, I hope. Enough rambling its time for an update with some pictures.

I bought this Green Monti Cap 1 week before I left. He is a monster and I think I'm going to have to frag him he takes up too much room in the tank. He's easily 9" across and about 12" high. I'll keep one large piece for myself.

Picked up this Rose Milli a couple days before I left.

Blue Monti Digitata

Birds Nest Amongst A few frags. I need to build a frag tank soon for all my future frags. I'll have to sell off a few I have now to get the funds.

Blue Acro in front of one of several of my purple cap frags

My Favorite Zoo's in the tank

Purple Zoo's

Orange/Yellow Milli

Blue Milli

GSP and Anthelia

Orange Digitata growing pretty fast

More fast reproducing Zoo's

I had to get this gorgonian for my wife its always been her favorite

For anyone interested I should have some green and purple Monti Cap frags availabe in the future and some various colored Digitata and Millipora frags too. I'll post pics when they are available.

Thanx for looking

Sean
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Gools is on a distinguished road

Sorry to here about your wife. Hope she's OK. Wish her all the best.

Very nice tank, In the spring I will have my tank setup, I will have to make a trip to vancouver, hopefully you will have some frags then
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

glad to hear you made back ok Sean, How's your wife doing?

I would be thrilled if the person taking care of my tank only grew algae and everything was ok it could be alot worse....

Great start on the corals keep us updated with more pics cheers Chris

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Nice tank, can we get a full tank shot?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 AM

Default New Addition

Thanks to everyone for there concern regarding my wife. She has almost completely recovered from her surgery. Tumor weighed in at 5.5 lbs and it wasn't cancer. Now time for another update. I have decided that I am going to try and add a new colony of SPS coral every 2 weeks. New additions every 2 weeks of course is based on if I am in town or not. I do travel quite a bit all around the world so it may throw a wrench in to my plans from time to time . Todays new addition came from Ocean Aquatics, thank you Wendell. Its a softball sized baby blue acro. I will post a full tank shot soon as requested.

Thanx

Sean
Old 02-02-2008, 12:21 AM

Gools is on a distinguished road

geez man 5lbs tumor, that's unreal. I'm sure glad she will be OK. All the best
Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Full Tank Shots, Sort Of

I know I promised I would post a full tank shot as soon as possible but work sent me to Vancouver Island for a week so I had to delay it. Now I'm back so its time for those pics I promised. I should also mention that my Green Monti Cap took a fall off its rock and broke into about 50 pieces. I had to make two temporary frag shelfs in the tank to hold them. Try and not laugh too hard they do look a little slap stick.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Building a Frag Tank

So due to recent events, ie. large amount of frags I have accumilated I have decided to build a frag tank to hold everything from the main tank and to grow out frags to put in the main display tank. I had an old acrylic cube that was used as a terrarium when I used to breed snakes and lizards. It had a large crack in it so I cut it down to a 3ft x 3ft x 7in deep tank.

Plans are for a 20 gallon sump and a 14 gallon refugium. Circulation will be from a Dart pump, water will return via 8 return nozzles. Four of them having hydor rotating water deflectors. Haven't decided on a skimmer yet or calcium reactor. Lighting plans are still up in the air too. Trying to decide if I will use 2 250w hqi with 1 14000k bulb and a 20000k bulb or 1 400 watt hqi or mogel with 14000k bulbs. Any input on lighting setups would be great .

Thanx for looking

Sean
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That will make an AWESOME frag tank!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 AM

Smile Moved My Frag Tank Into Its New Home

Not really that much progress this weekend on my new frag system I'm setting up. I moved it into its new home across from the display tank in what was supposed to be my office and is fast becoming my fish room. I had to cut the stand down to fit it through the doors. The genius that built it didn't think about getting it into a house. I also removed the wheels from the bottom as it wouldn't make to much sense having a tank rolling around the room.

The tank on top is going to be the refugium and the pump is the dart I am planning on using for circulation. Its not your typical home depot grating on the bottom of the tank, its the same shape but acrylic. I didn't get any input from anyone on lighting suggestions so I think I'm going to start with a 250w Reefstar HQI pendant and 14k bulb (ordering it this week) . Thinking about using one of those Via Aqua ACRO-Cal Reactor Calcium Reactors too .

I was wondering if I should consider bracing the top edge of the tank . It is only 7" deep and it is 1/4" acrylic but I don't want to come home to water all over the floor. Any suggestions or comments would be great.

Thanx

Sean