Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM

Aysha is on a distinguished road
Default Sargassum Trigger Compatibility ?

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Sp...shes-(07/10/09)

I Set up a 90 gallon Fowler back in November. After an ich outbreak (My Elibi angel beat up my Kole tang ) My Tank is now ready for fishes again!

I have always loved triggerfish but as you guys know most are too aggressive for a smaller FOWLR. I was reading that this triggerfish would be fantastic with most other fish and inverts. It sounds too good to be true??

The other fish I have waiting to go in this tank are a Pair of Banggai Cardinalfish adults and a pair of black occ. adults. Eventually I'd like to add a royal Gramma and a dwarf angel for some colour and a few sand sifters.

Who here has done it?
Pros?
Cons?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Xanthichthys ringens - Sargassum Triggerfish......

From my own personal experience; Sargassum Triggers are one of the most docile and peaceful of the Triggerfish family. In theory; any Trigger that belongs to the genus Xanthichthys are generally "reef safe with caution". At the end of the day....they still are Triggers. However; I have had Sargassum and Bluethroat in a reef environment that included SPS, LPS, Cleaner Shrimp, Blood Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp. smaller fish (such as Blue Eyed Cardinals, Clownfish, Juvenile Harlequin Tusk, Wrasses) without issue.

I generally try and keep them well fed to stave off temptation. Over time I will even skip a few feedings and observe how they react to less food. Mine have had no increased aggression towards tankmates with a decrease in feedings.

Triggers are very personable and have unique personalities. Mine eat from my hand if I let them.

From the description of your FOWLR environment; I think things will be fine - especially if you introduce the Sargassum trigger as the last/final addition. They aren't the most popular or common....but very much worth the wait in my opinion. Good Luck.