Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam View Post
It seems like you can notice the "disco" coloration in the sand bed... I could be wrong but i noticed it right away. Doesnt look bad though and your tank looks beautiful
I think this is more an anomaly of the camera capturing it because it is not as noticeable to the naked eye. Also When I took these pictures there was some cyano in the sand which is highlighted by the red LED's.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
"vendors and hobbyists alike mentioning a very bad effect that the Razor gives"

I have ordered this light (not paid for) and I am interested to know what you heard and what bad effect it gives?
I was told from multiple reputable sources that the color separation is terrible with this fixture, and that on paper the specs look great but in application are really terrible. Also the clusters have all the LEDs on a single board so if one goes you need to replace the whole board. The price point is nice for this fixture, but I decided modularity (is that a word) and better spectrum outweighed price. AI's new controller is also excellent and offers many options.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

I would just say make sure you see a tank running the Razor before you purchase one. I find the light output to be very low. Its a very small fixture. Having said that it might be fine on smaller shallow tanks.

Last edited by martinmcnally; 01-24-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM

reef_rookie is on a distinguished road
Default Question about the controller

I am looking at buying a couple of these fixtures but am a little weary. I heard from that if the controller loses communication with the fixture the light will turn on 100%. Have you had any problems with this?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_rookie View Post
I am looking at buying a couple of these fixtures but am a little weary. I heard from that if the controller loses communication with the fixture the light will turn on 100%. Have you had any problems with this?
They resolved this 'feature' many many months ago with a firmware update. The current firmware works really well. I have now 2 vegas and 10 hydras, and 4 controllers. (not all in use, and some are going to a buddy's house), but I'm very happy with the product!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

I have been running the maxspect razor 160w version , I actually really like this fixture. I switched over from HOT5 . The tank I run it on is 36x20x20 I run it 6inches above the tank the light covers my whole tank no dark spot's, and I only run it at %50white and %70blue and I get more than enough light. Also a local fish store here was running a maxspcet razor and a radion gen2 light , and he has now fully switched over to maxspect. Just my 2 cents. I would buy another maxspect over the radion , just from seeing them both on a tank at the same time I preferred the look of the razor. It's only $100 difference so not a big deal for me. However going to try the kessil pendant light looks pretty nice.

Also tank looks great
Old 11-01-2013, 03:58 PM

reef_rookie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick response Craig.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Nice tank. How about an update.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:34 AM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

I like your bi color angel I had one a few months ago but it never ate
Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Hello Everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on here so I thought I would post some update shots. It's been nearly a year since I got the LED fixture and I am still greatly enjoying it.

I've really been slacking on tank maintenance for the last 6 months as I've been busy with work and my kids, but am reconnecting with the hobby. I've been battling a bubble algae outbreak for a while now so please don't mind it.

The leathers are looking angry because I fragged them a few days ago but are healing well.

As for the light, all the corals I have are doing great. The most notable change is with the birdsnest which was just a tiny frag on Jan 24 of last year, it's now roughly the size of a softball. I am still debating adding a second light however I don't feel like the tank is missing out on anything without it. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Full Tank from Jan 2013

Full Tank Dec 2013

Birdsnest from Jan 2013

Birdsnest Dec 2013

A few other random shots.