Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-15-2010, 02:47 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for that wonderful photo. I read this whole thread start to finish, and I love those two fish, and one day want to start a tank dedicated to this style of fish. I currently read about them all the time and just love everything about them.

Also, love your setup, looks wonderful and everything looks so clean and thought out.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've spend a considerable amount of time inside of the tank staging my rockwork and planning for how my coral will grow in but that is about as thought out as it gets. The rest of my system is the result of endless fiddling and bandaid solutions... which works. But I'm not overly proud of it.

Over the last month I tried out a Prodibio Biokit http://www.prodibio.fr/index.php?fil...eau_id=2&id=14 complements of Progressive Reef. I didn't follow the instructions to the word because I have a fairly large system and would have used some of the vials up entirely the very first time I dosed. So instead I just used a row each week for simplicity's sake.

Before dosing I already had undetectable levels of nitrate and phosphate (according to elos kits), good color and growth and I do plenty of trace element replenishing through weekly water changes so I didn't expect to see any improvements. However I was surprised when nearly all of the cyanobacteria in my sandbed cleared up almost immediately. Maybe this was a direct result of supplementing or maybe it was just its time to go as it has typically done so in cycles before. Aside from the cyano I noticed a slight improvement in one acro that had recently recovered after bleaching a bit earlier last winter. But thats about all.

I've made two other system changes this month as well. I'm curious to try out some solid organic carbon dosing so I've switched out the maxijet pump on my phosban reactors for this mag 3.5. When the pellets arrive I'll swap out the GFO for them in one and continue to run carbon in the other. I also traded out the mag 9.5 for a mag 12 for the frag tanks return because I figured it could benefit from a little more flow. Ironically I don't really like mag pumps, but to a certain limit I can get them for free so I tend to use a lot of them.

This month I also had a lot of clam spawning... which put me a bit on edge but everything seems to have gone fine. I was able to photograph the derasa pushing out some white fluid for an hour but I didn't capture the maxima clams doing it. The derasa begun doing it just before lights out a few weeks ago and the maxima clams followed about a week later at around the same time. All are still alive and looking healthy today. I attribute these spawning events to the Neptune controller's seasonal temperature and lighting variations my tank follows.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 07-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

That looks so cool I want an eel now
Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Beautiful pics. Man those caps are nice.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Its been a few weeks since I ran out of the probio kit stuff and it seems like some of my cyano is returning a bit. But that is the only noticeable difference that I can see.

This time I'm experimenting with some Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets. My hopes is that I'll be able to use them in place of GFO which I've been running steady for about two years now to keep the phosphate levels in my tank undetectable. The GFO from BRS has been great and I've been able to bring the phosphate down to 0 from .75 and keep it there by changing out 1 cup each month. But this solid organic carbon system appears to be much less expensive and a little less maintenance so I've been wanting to give it a try. At this time both phosphate and nitrate in my system are undetectable so I'm curious to see if the phosphate starts to creep back up or not and whether or not anything looks visually different in the tank over time.

I was able to get about 300ml of pellets to completely fit and liquidize in a TLF Reactor powered with a Mag 3 pump. My net system water volume is probably a little over 200gal so according to their directions I should minimally have 400ml of pellets running. But most of my system is empty water space and contains just 6 fish so we'll see.

EDIT: I removed the sponges and replaced them with some of that craft store plastic mesh. By doing so I was able to fit some more pellets in and now I'm pretty close to 400ml.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM

Last edited by whatcaneyedo; 07-26-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 AM

I'm only on day two of the pellet experiment. My tank looks quite a bit cloudier than normal and the skimmer is pulling more than it generally does. Some of the coral look a bit off while others look perfectly normal.

On a side note my Seachem KH test kit ran out today so I switched to a new Elos one. On my Seachem kit I was told that my tanks alkalinity was 8 dkh. On the Elos one it says 12.5 dkh! I don't know about you but that is a huge difference in my opinion. So I'm shutting off the flow of CO2 to my calcium reactor until it comes down to at least 10 dkh. In the mean time I'm going to try and find someone else in town with a test kit that I can reference mine against.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

OK here are a couple of ideas regarding the lack of reliability of kH test kits.

My Salifert kH test kit came with a reference standard to check the kH test results against. If no one in town has a reference standard to lend you, I can bring one out next time I am in town.

The other idea is to use a pH monitor (recently calibrated against known standards) to measure the pH of a sample of tank water that has been aerated outdoors for a few hours. By aerating the water sample, the concentration of CO2 in the water will be equal to the concentration in the atmosphere. Since carbonate/bicarbonate is the predominant buffer system in seawater, you can take the pH and the concentration of CO2, and calculate the kH.

By using both these methods you should be able to come to some approximation of how accurate your kH test kit is.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 07-28-2010, 05:42 PM

A lot of coral looks ****ed off this morning and some of the fish aren't breathing right so I'm going to take some of the pellets out so that I only have 250ml running and do a water change.

I dont think I'll have a problem finding someone in town with a KH kit that I can try but thanks for the idea.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hey, I haven't used the Vertex Pellets, but with NP BioPellets they need to be tumbling very aggressively... I may be incorrect, but doesn't the Vertex ones need to be used in the same way? I see that you have your reactor stuffed, with no room to move.

If the Vertex are on the same principle as NP BioPellets, then the reactor is just going to get bunged up with mulm and garbage... I would suggest removing half of them and get them really moving around.

This is way I use 3 reactors in my setup, with about 1 litre in each, and have them going crazy (tumbling and whipping around).

I hope this helps, If the vertex pellets are different, please enlighten us all.

Thanks.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-28-2010, 05:54 PM

No they all tubling. I posted a picture and not a video so its hard to tell. I guess I could take a snap of them with the pump off and then with the pump on so that you could see... But I've already made some changes and removed a lot so there isn't really any point now. With the amount that was in there the reactor was about 2/3 full with the pump off. With the pump on it looks like its completely full.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM