Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Now thats a way to start a build, case of Vodka and start smashing down walls
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

LOL, I wondered when someone would point that out. Theres even more booze in the first photo!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I had originally planned on actually making the viewing pane smaller so that I wouldn't see various powerheads and the wavebox but eventually scrapped that as it would just make the viewing pane smaller than I'd like. One day if I do a custom tank I'll plan it better for that sort of thing. For now I need to experience the entire 6x2 fee
Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

The tough part is DONE. It's all fun and games from here congrats!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Hi Christy,

Have you considered an external wavebox? All it requires is ONE hole drilled, and a DIY glass box siliconed on the outside of the tank. I am SOOOO glad that I did it as I hate having visible pumps, pipes, boxes etc inside my tank. It is so worth it to do it since you don't even have the stand built yet and you can take your time on the build. Are you going with a closed loop?

GREAT start on the build! Is the tank going to be flush with the wall or will you be able to see a ledge around?

Another option to hide the wavebox is to go with the same Ikea mirror that I went with on my 5 x 2 x 2 tank and it would cover 6" on either side of the tank and still allow access at the top. This way any pumps on the side of the tank wouldn't be visible. You'd just have to put the wavebox toward the front pane and the pumps toward the pump. This would still allow you to see the deep corners.

Just some thoughts and ideas while you have the tank empty
I did consider the external wavebox however, that would have to be a custom deal as I don't trust my own work and the tank is already assembled and ready to go. At this point if they broke the tank drilling it I would be SOL as I don't have the money to buy a new one (those days are long over sadly, hello mortgage payments!).

As well, I will be going with the same style of framing you have as I think it looks damned fine and I love the idea of being able to take the top of the frame off for access into the tank. However, I'll be doing my own thing as I've lusted after a full 6 feet for so long, there is no freaking way I'll be hiding 6" on either side...thats a whole foot!!!

I'm still working on the whole flush/recessed mount. Mostly we're trying to figureo out how the stand will work if we do go with a flush mount. So the wall will have to be beefed up, however I don't really want the stand as part of the wall and my husband is convinced that offsetting the tank on the stand will create new pressure points that won't be supported. Beats me, I just said it would be fine but he isn't convinced

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room )
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I'm so very jealous!!! Look at the size of that fishroom!!!! *sigh* NICELY done! Can't wait to see it.

And I gotta say I'm part of the Euro-reef loving club too. Christy picked me up a new RS250 also around when she got hers and it rocks. I love it and man does it stink!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

There are very few instances in life when something stinking is a sign of quality and performance. Gotta love this hobby!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Good Start! I'm loving the size of your fish room (wish I had a fish room )
Regarding the removable back for the tank: Did you see Dave's black curtain set-up the last time you were over? It works slick as hell.
Yeah, thats where I got the idea from

My 180 Build

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Good job so far Christy. Keep it up.