Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Only question I'd consider is... Will there be enough interest/entries to warrant so many categories? If people are paying an entrance and only 1 or 2 people are in a certain category... How would that work?

As a side not Ill enter regardless, think it'll be fun and as a bonus: drive my wife nuts with another tank scheme

Mentioned only as something to consider.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

well I think I'd run a poll first to see if there is interest in each category but yeah, I think even if theres only a couple per category why not?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'm probably down for the custom stuff on a budget. I need to get planning.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I like your suggestions Christy but agree it may be to many categories. Maybe cut it down to:

1. Stock tanks with a budget
2. Stock tanks with unlimited budget
3. Custom tanks with a budget
2. Custom tanks with unlimited budget

That may be a bit more manageable. Otherwise the other suggested rules etc. look good to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:53 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
ok this takes the cake for the biggest douchebag comment ever posted on this site. Don't flaunt your income on this site.

I'm sorry but alot of people can't just dish out $500 in a night for a nano contest. See like i was saying last night, with what you are saying were better off re-naming the build threads as the build contests since you do not want a minimum tank size, or a budget. whats the point of a contest than? your better off just starting a thread in the normal build section.

I agree with greenspottedpuffer, if sphelps is in the contest count me out as well
Well I'm not sure why you all feel this way, all I'm saying is I think 6 months is too long for build time and that you don't have to spend a lot on hardware or anything for that matter. Never did I say anything about $500 or my income which is actually pretty minimum which explains why I have to work two jobs, not that that's anyone's concern. I'm not sure why everyone is being so sensitive to a different opinion, I don't think a livestock budget works, that's it. Big deal, move on. It's also mostly based on exactly what happened with the last contest, almost every dispute was over livestock pricing. I already said other constraints are needed and gave examples.

Last edited by sphelps; 04-15-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM

shelphs,

What would you recommend as a budget then? Just hardware budget and an unlimited budget for livestock?

A dissenting opinion shouldn't be such a cause for alarm or outcry. I for one am pleased to hear to feedback and suggestions, regardless of what it is. If you want to participate or not because someone else, that is your choice, and your opinion.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Oh I like the idea to set a date where you can't add/remove stuff!! Good idea!!

I like the unlimited budget, at least for livestock because it reduces disputes, and because I want to see some stellar nanos with AAA corals in them in the end!!! I don't mind a hardware budget though...that's kinda fun to stick to a budget.

I also like Ron 99's suggestion of categories:

1. Stock tanks with a budget
2. Stock tanks with unlimited budget
3. Custom tanks with a budget
2. Custom tanks with unlimited budget

Of course I still think all categories should be limited to 20 gallon display which seems to be the general consenus on here anyway.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt (har har) as I'm not sure if I will have the space (in the house) to participate.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Yes a budget on hardware works, introduces a challenge and is easily monitored and controlled. If I thought a livestock budget would actually work I would be all for it, problem is there are too many variables and to me it just seems more fair and easier to simply eliminate it. The worst case is someone will spend a ridiculous amount of money on super rare livestock but the majority of people don't like or notice the rare stuff anyway so I see no advantage. You'll also see much more variety in livestock as much more freedom will be available.

My recommendations are:
  • Hardware - limited budget
  • Livestock - unlimited budget
  • Total system volume - limited to 20 gallons or whatever most would prefer
  • 1 month preparation build time
  • 3-6 months additional contest time, again whatever most prefer
  • People wanting extra build time can use addition contest time (no restriction on when tank has to be wet)
  • Absolutely no changes within last month (proves sustainability)

We also didn't get too many people in the last contest so multiple categories, which although would be nice, probably won't really work. The more people actually competing against each other the better.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:32 PM

That makes lots of sense, and I'm all for that. Thank you for the recommendations.

Start dates? I'm thinking May 1st, or June 1st?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Lot's of good suggestions and discussion. After considering all the input I think the following would be good:

1. Two Categories; stock tanks and custom tanks
2. Hardware - limited budget of maybe $300 to $400
3. Livestock - unlimited budget (hey if somebody wants to blow $2000 on livestock more power to them. I think the contest should be based more on the whole package rather than what fancy corals or rare fish somebody has)
4. Display limited to 20 gallons with a max 20 gallon sump
5. Total of 6 months contest time with no set wet deadline (to give people as much time as they need for the build) and no changes in the last month (other than water changes of course).

As for start date maybe June 1st. I know my schedule is pretty full and life seems to be busy for many people so that gives a bit more time to plan for those wanting to do a custom build.

YMMV but I think the above maybe incorporates many of the opinions and suggestions made so far.