Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Sounds more like fear of loosing

Not really interested in entering the next one just trying to provide a little insight. I'm usually just looking out for others interests in general not my own. I'll be quiet now.

Cheers
No its a lot more personal than.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
one month is good for some one with no job, or has 100% of there free time to work on it. It also really limits creativity as you just don't have the time to do the stuff, unless your rich then you can just buy everything done. some people actualy have to save up for a bit to do something, then save again to do something else.

Steve
I dunno, doesn't really seem to take that much time. It's just a nano. You could always do a 5 gal instead of a bigger one, which is what I would do. Saves time and money.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Why not take a page out of nano-reefs, look at what they are doing contest wise. Ones like the nanocube specific custom/stock are great imo cause everyone starts off on the same level ground, it doesn't turn into a contest of who has the most money to blow... Or atleast minimizes it and turns the focus more to the build and the contents.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I have full time job and a part time business and I built my tank in one night, a month is reasonable but sorry anyone that takes 6 months to setup a nano is just slow. And if it takes six months just to save up for hardware for a contest tank on canreef you should probably invest that money elsewhere, you don't have to spend a lot. My hardware cost $79
ok this takes the cake for the biggest douchebag comment ever posted on this site. Don't flaunt your income on this site.

I'm sorry but alot of people can't just dish out $500 in a night for a nano contest. See like i was saying last night, with what you are saying were better off re-naming the build threads as the build contests since you do not want a minimum tank size, or a budget. whats the point of a contest than? your better off just starting a thread in the normal build section.

I agree with greenspottedpuffer, if sphelps is in the contest count me out as well
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Interesting comments....

I'm not up for running this to start. Christy if you'd like that job, I'd love to have you do it! You're fair, and funny, so its all good!

As for the other comments on what is a "nano" size. I think we should probably poll it because its really opinion there is not firm size that defines nano that I've seen. We should also probably make sure to be very clear when we vote as to if we are voting on TOTAL volume or just DISPLAY volume.

I'm not too big on starting with a stock tank. Like previously mentioned I'm wary of the initial product and concerned about even trying to drill it, etc. Again, probably should be put to a vote. If some want to use stock tanks, go for it, if you don't, all the power to you.

I also agree with the mention of two separate budgets, one for hardware and livestock. I also think we should exempt a bunch of "environmental necessities" like chillers, because not everyone needs one, and forcing something like that to come out of someone's budget is a fun-killer.

Aside from the comments about who is in/out because of others, would anyone be opposed to voting on some of the basics? Stock tank or not, total volume vs. system volume, etc.

We should also discuss a budget once we've decided on sizes, as well we should look at an entrance fee, and look for potential sponsors.

Anything else?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Holey crap people, can I remind you this is JUST an internet board??? Whew.

Its likely I'm going to kick myself later but yes I will run this one.

I think we'll have several categories to suit everyone, why not a free for all category for those of us that have money to burn. In this case it will be about system design as well as tank design.

Binare is right, IMO the whole idea behind the contest originally was that everyone started on a level playing ground. It was what you could do with a 10g stock tank that was supposed to be impressive. I think whats happening here is that people are wanting to be more creative with the technical side of things not the biological and I can certainly get behind that.

But I still think the whole point of the "contest" is being overlooked, the point was how "creative" you could get with limited funds.

So here is what I think:

see what interest there is in running the following categories:

*stock 5.5 (limited budget) rated on aquascaping, contents and creativity

*stock 10 (limited budget) rated as above

*stock 5.5 (unlimited budget) rated as above

*stock 10 (unlimited budget) rated as above

* custom (limited budget) aquascaping contents creativity, tank design

*custom (no budget limits) aquascaping, contents, creativity, system design

Tanks can be no larger than 20 gallons. For the stock categories, if a sump is wanted the sump can be no larger than the stock tank.

This way I think we keep the integrity of the contest (which to me is to do the best you can with a stock tank and limited budget) as well as satisfy those that want to go beyond that.

I still think the 6 months should stick. Regardless of whether you have a million dollars and can afford all the bits and pieces you need, not everyone is an acrylic engineer or has the time to spend putting together their tank in a 24 hour period. I say 2 months to plan, get your stuff together and get water in it. Then 4 months to fruition.

Anyway just my two cents. I can start a poll for interest in the above categories I've laid out if its warranted.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Thank you Christy! I would run this, or help you run it, but I want to participate.

I am hoping for a total system volume of say 30-50g, and then maybe a limitation on the display tank. So displays no larger the 20g sounds good to me

Just to clarify, lets say I have a 20g tank and I add on an external overflow, that would push me over the 20g limit correct?

I like what you've laid out, and I think with just a few additions, budget rules, etc. we'll be good to go.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Nope external overflows are fine, I know the "limitations" on drilling the smaller thinner glassed tanks (never had any success myself). As long as the tank itself is 20g or less I would imagine it would be ok, the overflow could be considered part of the sump or just another piece of equipment much like a hang on skimmer or something.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Sounds good.

I guess we should find out how JDigital felt about the entry fees. Were they enough, etc.

What else do we need?
- Start & end dates
- Contestants
- Sticky with rules
- Sponsors?
- Prizes?
- Winning lotto tickets
Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

I'll throw in my 2 cents here and then wait for the contest to actually start.

I personally have fun building tanks on a buget, but I really like the various categories that Christy has posted.
I also agree with the "no livestock (coral/fish/invert etc) to be added or removed by a certain date" thing....that's a rad Idea.

I think if we go total system volume up to 50 gallons with a Display NO LARGER than 20 that'd be cool. I've got 10 gallons out the wazzoo, so will be using a stock 10 anyways, but I'd love to see what people come up with.

Anyways, count me in for the 10 gallon on a budget one.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.