Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

No, you're right. I'm just kidding. As a matter of fact, I think we should buy everything from the States because its all cheaper there. But wait... how do I buy stuff from the States when I don't make any money here because all of my customers shop out of town for the cheapest prices too?

I'm not trying to start anything or get into it with anyone. When I first started in this hobby I had a similar outlook. I just wish people would consider giving local stores a chance at building a relationship instead of dismissing them all together. It's what keeps my company in business and since they sign my paychecks I'm happy for that. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Safari, Hillside, and Creatures are all excellent stores and all have their personal strengths. Hope you have a good visit.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 AM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road

I think The last post from 'scumchug ' should be deleted .This thread has gone from a genuine enquiry for where the local stores are situated to a mini rant from someone with an axe to grind.The last time I looked we lived in a free society where it is O.K. to charge what the market will pay.
If he thinks he can do better maybe he should try !!
Nobody is frog marching him into their establishment.
And ,no ,I have no connection with any retail store...........I just appreciate what they have to offer .
There ,thats better,
.....................Dave
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 AM

Fugu is on a distinguished road

are you looking for FW or SW stuff?

"Well that brings up an interesting philosophical question.Is it okay to snitch to the police,on the police."-Rhily Freeman
Old 03-22-2007, 05:03 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumchug View Post
HA HA HA HA HA. Thats a good one. ur funny..........

Ohhhhh, are you being serious???
Some of the best prices I've ever got are from the local shops, and I've bought a fair amount of stuff. The helpful advise and great customer service make the occasional higher price well worth the cost.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:02 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road

I have been in this hobby for 12 years and have seen it all.One saying I heard from a local store owner.If a fish dies they will come back and buy another.I have seen lots of night mares caused by bad advice.How soon people forget.There are a couple good stores on the island.I think most people in the hobby for awhile know.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 AM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
I have been in this hobby for 12 years and have seen it all.One saying I heard from a local store owner.If a fish dies they will come back and buy another.I have seen lots of night mares caused by bad advice.How soon people forget.There are a couple good stores on the island.I think most people in the hobby for awhile know.
please do not base your impression of local stores on one individual. a good store knows that a solid customer base will be found with good advice. successful hobbyists are the best customers and a good store will help them in any way they can!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

It is disapointing to see the variations in price for the same items, when in fact the shipping charges arent nearly as much as the stores make it out to be. Buying local is one thing, being consumer aware is something totally different.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default stores

You think it/s one person or one store/ one purchase.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
are you looking for FW or SW stuff?
Just educating myself on SW reefs.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Fugu is on a distinguished road

I have been soured by local SW prices.I either save up or ship in.Good advice is evereywhere though.

But ime not shure a corillane algea scraper with a long handel is worth $46...not pointing any store out....just sayin...

"Well that brings up an interesting philosophical question.Is it okay to snitch to the police,on the police."-Rhily Freeman