Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-13-2017, 03:40 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

I been in my trade for almost 40 years, never quit a job other than moving for family reasons. I have had only 8 jobs my whole career, you would think that would account for something. Knowledge, team player, steady work ethics. We get jobs for what we know and experiance not becuase I finished high school in 1979. Some employers think education is the way to go. Maybe if I was
doctor, lawyer, even an accountant not a mechanic.. Plus post secondary trade school is getting a degree I'd say...
Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Maybe take this as an opportunity to start your own thing. Nothing better than being your own boss.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. I know it's more of a vent but there's alot of reasons why people don't get hired.

Requiring a HS diploma could be legit or it could mean they simply don't think you're a good fit and gave you a cookie cutter answer to avoid any hassle.

It's worth mentioning that they're the ones who called you. A lack of an "Education" section is glaring for anyone who is a hiring manager so I imagine they were okay with you not having your diploma before they called you to come in.

Don't read into it too much. Being out of work anytime is tough; good luck with the search.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:43 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road
Default High school diploma.......that’s a joke

I read this today, and I have to shake my head. I’ve been at one of Alberta’s larger colleges for the past 14 years. I’ve seen my fair share of students coming through with a high school diploma, and I can safely say it’s not worth much....
I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on.
I spent the majority of my day at the college doing open house, now aside from these kids being young, they have no idea on what the real world has in store for them. In a world of no child being left behind, we’re setting these kids up for failure.
As far as not getting the job, count your blessings, if the guy in the office is that wet behind the ears, you wouldn’t be happy there. If they can’t recognize the experience base you have and red seal in your pocket....
Just my 2 cents....and maybe because I’m a red seal tradesmen as well, but I feel your pain.

Last edited by The Codfather; 10-14-2017 at 04:52 AM.