Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I'm confused? What's the purpose of this skimmer? I get using one for a large pond but as far as aquariums go isn't water cheap enough to easily do large water changes to reduce nutrients? The cost of the skimmer and the power it uses will never pay for itself or be as efficient as simply changing water.

There's a reason these are used in SW and not FW.
there is no purpose in fresh water as exactly like you said.. large waterchanges are simple, cheep and easy.

now the normal fresh water skimmer that is widely used is a surface skimmer, which is to skim the surface of the water to remove proteen buildup in tanks where you have a lot of plants and require low to no surface agitation to prevent CO2 from comming out of solution.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
now the normal fresh water skimmer that is widely used is a surface skimmer, which is to skim the surface of the water to remove proteen buildup in tanks where you have a lot of plants and require low to no surface agitation to prevent CO2 from comming out of solution.
By surface skimmer do you mean a simple overflow box?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
By surface skimmer do you mean a simple overflow box?
same idea but when there is no sump it is a mini overflow box that goes to the filter.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM

darb is on a distinguished road

what SG does a protein skimmer start to become effective? I am running a 1.10/12 ish brackish tank and wouldn't mind reducing my 50% water changes.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
what SG does a protein skimmer start to become effective? I am running a 1.10/12 ish brackish tank and wouldn't mind reducing my 50% water changes.
best bet is to buy the cheapest skimmer you can.. maybe some one has a seaclone for about 20 bucks and see if it works on your tank. or maybe some one who is getting a new skimmer can fool around with SQ durning the breakin and see when it starts being efective.

Steve

Old 03-01-2010, 08:24 PM

darb is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I think that I have found a used Red Sea Prizm. It seems to be a middle of the road skimmer.

Lets see how it works. I am only at 1.02 atm though and increasing by .02 per week so it may be some time before I see results.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

The Red Sea Prizm is a bottom of the barrel skimmer IMHO.

You're better off saving some money and simply put a wooden airstone inside a tube in the aquarium (like from an old UGF) with a good strong air pump on the other end. If you see a lot of sludge collecting on the surface then you're skimming.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I saw first hand this weekend that skimming works for freshwater. The hot tub in the hotel I was in was quite dirty and was actually collecting stable foam in one corner with black slime at the top of it! I wish I had my camera so that I could have taken a picture.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I saw first hand this weekend that skimming works for freshwater. The hot tub in the hotel I was in was quite dirty and was actually collecting stable foam in one corner with black slime at the top of it! I wish I had my camera so that I could have taken a picture.
haha, you could hardly call that fresh water. if it is foaming in a hot tub its because the water is pretty damn dirty and there is lots of oils and soaps in it. I won't go in a hot tub that makes foam when you put the jets on. I had a hot tub for 15 years.. trust me they shouldn't be foaming with clean water.. they even make chemicles that will stop foaming so you can go longer between water changes.. kinda grose if you ask me.

Steve