Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 AM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the thoughts.

Nate its good to hear from you.

Alot of technical issues have to be thought through right now, including convincing the wife to go with this idea.

With our house right now, this is really the only location that will actually work for any tank. I dont want the weight and potential water damage issues of a large tank on the top floor. I would like to put a large tank in the basement but finishing the basement is still a few years away. When we do a development plan for the basement, a large tank will likely be a major focal point. I have never had a large tank so it would definitely be something I would like to try out.

The two tanks in the art niches would be like having two nano tanks but with the stability of a larger system. I know plumbing them into the basement will cause alot of headache but I think would be the best way to run the two tanks.
Originally I was looking into getting two all in one tank setups like the Innovative Marine Fusion 10 http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aq.../fusion10.html
They would give me the look I was after but with them I am buying two of everything and trying to monitor the chemistry and top off water for the two tanks. Having the sump in the basement will hopefully simplify the operation of both tanks.

These tanks would not be tall narrow tanks, they would be a cube type shape. The measurements would likely be around 16.5" wide 18-20" tall and probably 20" deep. The livestock would be similar to what I have used before, yes I miss out on the most beautiful fish.

I believe I would be using LED lighting to help keep temps in check, the last time I had a tank metal halide was the light of choice and I remember the heat mine put out was crazy.
Typically what is the maximum depth most LED systems light penetrate to? I would assume 24" would be quite dark at the bottom.

Nate Im not quite sure if I understand your idea for plumbing the single pump. I would have a header with a line going to each tank, with ball valves on each plumbing run, but I am confused about the auxiliary line to the possible refugium. Would this be a third line off of the header? The fuge would be in the sump and not a separate tank correct?

You also said to stay away from Pex piping also. Just curious as to why? I already have the crimp tools and running a flexible line would avoid using 90 degree elbows.

Last edited by outtafocus; 12-28-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

If your considering Led's you may want to consider Kessels, they would work well in those spaces hanging.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/425/K...+Lighting.html
Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Pump

What I'm saying is the pump might have to be overkill to be able to handle the head height. Instead of just throttling it back for the two nanos, as that would put extra load on the pump. Run a third line, a recirc line if you will back into the sump with a ball valve too. Will just help keep the pump working longer.

Also with pex, not traditionally used for aquariums. Will get the same out of flexible PVC. And I gotta ask how the pex will be hooked up to the pump. Will the crimp be submerged. Do crimps rust? What are they made of ?

Is use flex PVC. If you're having trouble finding any pArts let me know I retail them out sometimes through my aquarium maintenance company.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 AM

I will definitely look into those Kessil lights. They look very nice.

If I were to use Pex piping, it would only be for the vertical run up to the tank. The copper crimp rings would be several feet from the water. I would build a header from pvc which would connect to the pump and have risers coming up out of the water. Im pretty sure there are adapter available to go from pex to pvc but I really do not know ( I just did a quick search and seems I would need to use threaded fittings to transition from pex to pvc).I dont really want to use threaded fittings if I can avoid it. I will likely use flex pvc but I am open to other ideas also.

I totally see your idea for a aux line into a refugium, thanks Nate.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 AM

Dive_dry is on a distinguished road

Don't use pex as the fittings are copper or brass and will kill your inverts
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM

So after alot of thinking and discussions, I think I will be canceling this project for now.
We have decided that this will require far to much modification to our home and just won't give me the aquarium look I am going for.
I really want to do a rimless open top tank with at least three sides viewable.

I may end up doing one of those Innovative Marine tanks in a different location sometime this year.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtafocus View Post
So after alot of thinking and discussions, I think I will be canceling this project for now.
We have decided that this will require far to much modification to our home and just won't give me the aquarium look I am going for.
I really want to do a rimless open top tank with at least three sides viewable.

I may end up doing one of those Innovative Marine tanks in a different location sometime this year.
Thanks for the help.
Good call. Servicing and just cleaning the glass of algae on those tall, narrow, confined tanks would have been a complete PITA in my opinion.