Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 AM
bvlester

1.Perishable would be my #1, I only buy local that is if I can make it a day trip I will buy
2.Fragility is very close 2nd. Always get insurance for the replacement of broken items. Large transport companies always have insurance for items they are shipping. I have shipped item from over seas, US and within Canada. I have not had much trouble.
3.Availability If I can't fine it local or semi local I shop world wide to get the best buy.
4.Tech support is good, but the best tech support comes from the manufacturer more produces are putting in print that you should contact them and not the company you bought the product from.
5. Shipping is not a worry as I get insurance on almost everything I get shipped If it arrives broken then the insurance kicks in and it is cheep to get.

I have run small business before and worked in large shipping companies also and insurance is just a cost of doing business. whether it a small company or a personal perches get insurance, the first time you need it you will be glad.

edit: I forgot to say economics keeps the world economy going around and helps keep people employed.
There you go.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 11-25-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

For Livestock:
-Availability (Because I only buy specific specimens, that are exactly what i want)
-Fragility
-Perishability
-Ease of Shipment
-Technical Aspects

I list it this way because if I want a specific animal/livestock, it is unique. All animals, corals, etc... are unique, no two are alike. If I want an animal, I will pay whatever for it, from wherever. Desire for a specific, exact product outweighs all technical aspects/problems associated with it's purchase.

For anything else(dry goods, food, etc..):
-Technical Aspect
-Availability
-Ease of shipment
-Fragility
-Perishability

The reason for this order, is due to the fact that if something is very complex or detailed, I'd prefer to get a chance to view/understand it in person if I can... following is availability (which is also linked to price, I wouldnt consider the item 'available' locally if it is twice the online price, per se)... Whether shipment will take forever or not is basically the following reason, then fragility/parishability, I dont really care. Most retailers will typically replace stuff I didnt break myself.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Chris

(If you draw me, keep the $20 dollars as a 'refund' from another 'poor' student, haha)
Old 11-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

1) Perishability (I don't like shipping livestock in winter for instance)
2) Price - Cost/benefit analysis (how much am I really going to save online vs LFS)
3) Availability (with J&L, OA, & other lg. sw retailers here, can't one of them bring it in?)
4) Shipping (again cost/benefit analysis - will shipping costs negate any savings?)
5) Technical support

I don't often resort to ordering stuff shipped in just because of the added cost & risks involved, especially with so many sw retailers in the area.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Mr.nintendo is on a distinguished road

- how perishable the item is (fish/coral/frozen food)
- fragility (how easily something is broken during shipment, regardless of whether or not the vendor replaces the item)
- technical aspect of the item (how beneficial would it be to buy local so that you can get some local technical help, the Neptune controller comes to mind)
- ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt)
- availability (obviously, if the product is only available at a local shop, or only online, you'd only buy from there)

Perishability is number one for sure, I would never spend a crapload of money for something from an online vendor if it's arrival is questionable.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm adding a couple more since the key point for me weren't provided.
  1. Perishable (first thing for me, I don't generally order live goods or perishable items online)
  2. Urgency & Availability (second thing is how bad do I need the item and how long can I wait)
  3. Price Difference (This should be near the top on everybody's list, it's always about the money)
  4. Relationship (the better the relationship with a LFS the more likely you will buy from them even if price is higher and/or delivery is longer)
  5. Fragility
  6. Technical
Old 11-25-2009, 02:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

#1 Potential savings (didn't have this one but I feel it is the most important for online as if there was no cost savings why get it online?

#2 availability

#3 ease of shipment

#4 Fragility

#5 Perishable (but this also depends on the location od the online vendor. for instance I would have no problem getting stuff from J&L but some one in the states would be out.

#6 technical aspect of the item

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I ranked technical highly. But really I'm a technical guy and it would be more realistic to have one like "customer service, timely support" or something like that.

If it breaks I want local attention.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I assume buying online will save you money. What I'm looking for is what makes you determine whether the price difference is worth buying online.

Thanks for all of the responses, please keep them coming!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Intensely involved Flash banners. You know the sort where you gotta click like a madman to get the dude to do pull-ups or throw punches. SOLD!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:15 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Hi Rich... Nice to see you around again.
Good luck with your project. Its too bad i couldn't make dinner the other night.

1. technical - If this includes superb customer service and after purchase support its a big plus for me. Now saying that it could be local support or not that would be more desirable to me. Would depend on the vendor.

2. availability - I'll include quality and reputation in this as well. If I can get superior quality from a vendor that has a good standing in the industry I'm all for it.

3. perishable - If the goods i want have a high rate of not making it to me I might hesitate to order, but if the cost savings are significant I might take a gamble on it.

4. ease of shipment (the higher the weight/size of the item, the more it'll cost to ship, ie. salt) If the cost savings are still there as assumed, its really not an issue.

5. fragility - Most cases its not an issue if you buy from a reputable source that knows how to package goods for shipment. Key is to do your homework.