Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road
Default Vortech for Xmas!!!!

Hey everyone,

So my birthday and christmas are comming up and i have decided to buy myself a vortech MP40. I have a couple of questions tho.... Im wondering if the MP40 would be over kill in my 120(4x2x2)? Also wondering if you need to run any other powerheads with the vortechs? Right now I'm running and tunze 6100 with controller and a korillia 3. Last but not least is there any problems that I should know about with these pumps? Any input would be apreciated!

Thanks
Ray
Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 AM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrows14 View Post
I have a couple of questions tho.... Im wondering if the MP40 would be over kill in my 120(4x2x2)?
What type of corals are you keeping in it?

I ran 2 MP40's (about 80%) with 2 K4's and 1 K3 on a 120g SPS dominated worked pretty great for me.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 AM

at the moment I only have a few LPS in the tank but i plan on adding some sps hard and softies
Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I have one (MP40w) on my 95 plus three extra power heads
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 AM

Some of the tanks Ive seen on the net look like they only have the vortech so thats why i asked and sounds like id keep my korillia. Whats the best placement for them? all and all are they worth the money?

cheers
Ray
Old 12-04-2009, 06:46 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default vortech mp40

I've got one mp40 in my 120 ( 4 foot) . Still thinking about adding another one, as I still have to run 2 koralia 4's along with my returns. Guess it depends how much live rock you have. I've got over 140 lbs, so need lots of current to get in between all the rocks. If your aquascaping leaves you with lots of open spaces, maybe one mp40 will suffice.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

A single MP40W in a 120 regardless of what type of coral you keep is definitely not overkill. You'll find the far end of the tank will need supplemental flow and will most likely want to keep running another powerhead on that side. I run two MP40s on my 4 foot 77 gallon. They're dialed down a bit which is nice, since they run a little quieter at less than full speed.

I have a feeling you will be very impressed once you see one working in your system, and it won't be long before you'll be thinking of adding a second. Your options increase by a large magnitude with two, since they are able to communicate with each other in Master/Slave mode.

My first pump is almost two years old now and was Gen 1 with old magnet. I replaced that after about 6 months with a low cost kit from EcoTech. Second pump was added about a year later. It was a Gen 2 and I was finally able to upgrade the firmware of the first pump to get it to final Gen 2 status as well. Both have been running without fault since I put them in service. About the only possible issue I can foresee is that you may find them somewhat noisy since the motor is outside the tank. It seems to vary from one to the next. I don't find either of mine a problem in that regard, especially since I run them at less than full power. But each one sounds a little different, the newer one maybe a tad more quiet. If you use short pulse mode with the pump ramping from idle to 100%, you will hear that in the next room, depending on what other noise you might have going on.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks mike great info from you! I bought the mp40w off mrfish55 today great deal and he has already shipped it! nothing but great things to say about him! It should be here monday and i cant wait to set it up. Now im gonna work on selling my tunze lol

cheers
Ray