Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-15-2006, 07:56 PM

Polyp Lab is on a distinguished road

Dirty Reefer: Leaving the product out at room temp is fine once in a while. Don't worry about it =)

Albert: It definitely needs surface area to work. Most tanks will have more than enough surface area for the system to work effectively. As for the effects on refugiums and turf scrubbers, you will likely have much slower macro growth.

Rich & Muck: A few before/after photos exist on some forums but I don't want to break canreef forum rules posting links..
Old 04-15-2006, 11:51 PM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

I have bought the system and starting it today. I will post pics. of two test subjects ( purple acro and a purple milli ) and tank prams. weekly starting next week ,every Sunday, As Sunday is my normal tank maintenance day

Thank you Polyp Lab for staying in touch with this thread, your input is very much appreciated

Last edited by Tangman; 04-15-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 AM

cprowler is on a distinguished road

Last edited by cprowler; 05-30-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Tangman why don't you take some pictures of your tank today and then it will be a good guage of where it started from and how things changed? Just a thought.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:59 AM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth
Tangman why don't you take some pictures of your tank today and then it will be a good gauge of where it started from and how things changed? Just a thought.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough ( English wasn't my best subject in school and school was a long time ago) but that is what I am doing..Ha,ha
Old 04-16-2006, 03:57 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

I apologize for my skeptisism,

But are you not still relying on the existing filtration and maintanece to remove nutrients regardless of form?

It really doesnt matter what the cells, bacteria or micro-whatever are doing when they just bind up nutrients for a time then "shed" them, you still end up with the same mechanical means of removal as before...problem is you just added more stuff to the tank, of course your skimmer is working better.

Polp extention in Jl`s tank is largly due to the wavebox, i can attest to the improvements they contribute in polyp extention, i would guess they would tell you the same.

Since bacteria store phosphates, it makes no sence to me why one would want to add more to a system, regardless of better strains.

This goes against the theory of nutrient poor systems such as BB`s, where the idea is to REMOVE the bacteria from the system, not give them some more food.

Last edited by SuperFudge; 04-16-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:13 PM

A good analogy would be the refugium itself, while the algea are awesome at nutrient uptake, where does it end up ?

It ends up with you manually harvesting the algea from the tank, or the algea dies and it is re-released.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Polyp Lab is on a distinguished road

Fudge:

Yes you relying on the skimmer to remove waste.

The bacterial strains in our product, feed on nutrients in your water column that are not removable by a skimmer. For example, if you poured a cup of fertilizer into your aquarium, you'd have a serious nutrient problem. And having a skimmer wouldn't help one bit.

With system Reef-resh. you are introducing bacteria that consumes nutrients. These bacteria are readily remove by a skimmer.

These aren't "better" strains. The strains in the product form biofilms. This isn't a buzzword. Biofilms are very efficient at nutrient removal and are used in thousands of real-world applications. Furthermore, they do not "shed" the nutrients. They shed the cells themselves that have used these nutrients to grow.

And while a wavebox certainly helps polyp extension, give J&L a call and ask them if they noticed a difference in polyp extension when they started using this product. (There's a reason why they wanted to carry our product)

BTW: Nutrient poor systems are not designed to remove bacteria. They are designed to remove nutrients. This is what our product does.

I feel like I have repeated myself 10X in this thread.......
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM

cprowler is on a distinguished road

Last edited by cprowler; 05-30-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyp Lab
For example, if you poured a cup of fertilizer into your aquarium, you'd have a serious nutrient problem. And having a skimmer wouldn't help one bit.
Id expect some special bacteria wouldnt adress the problem either, but ill consider it next time i put fertilizer in my tank.

Quote:
BTW: Nutrient poor systems are not designed to remove bacteria. They are designed to remove nutrients. This is what our product does.
Yes, they are. Biomass=life=nutrients. If you remove the life, you also remove what that life produces.
Bacteria leak....most detritus is produced by BACTERIA.
Im afraid you are adressing only a portion of a much larger process.

Heres one of many,

"The skimmer will export what's available and in a form that the skimmer can export. What is not in that form, will sit in solution, be grabbed and re-cycled by bacteria/phyto/etc again - eventually it has to go back through a form that the skimmer can export."

Lets call this fella a DR. in marine biology, and pathobiology.
He doesnt have anything to sell unfortunatly.

Quote:
I feel like I have repeated myself 10X in this thread.......
Please dont feel you need to for me.

Last edited by SuperFudge; 04-16-2006 at 05:44 PM.