Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting question

So... here's the deal:

I'm building a tank in the wall of my new house. It will be open on two sides, basically it will be acting as the wall between the office and the dining room. Tank Dimensions:

6 foot long, 34 inches wide, 30 inches tall. Approx 320 gallons.

I'm pretty squared away on all elements in the tank except one - the lighting.

As the tank is built in to a wall, the lights are going to be completely enclosed. We're going to have one side of the 'canopy' (not a true canopy, more like the wall cavity above the tank) be a vented screen that I can easily lift away (think window shutters), but heat will still be an issue.

The tank is wide and deep, so I'm concerned about penetration and spread. I've seen umpteen threads regarding LED lighting recently, but I

a) don't trust the technology yet, I will want to see at least a dozen award winning SPS tanks that have been growing on nothing but LEDs for at least 2 years before I'll spend that kind of cash. Almost all of what I read about them talks about their energy efficiency, and their programmability, etc. etc., but I don't really care about any of that if they don't put out the wavelengths of light corals need to grow.

b) don't understand 80% of what people are talking about when they discuss LED technology.

c) LED technology seems to be changing and improving so fast I think I'd rather wait until the technology is more mature before I spend the kind of dollars LED systems command.

I'm thinking I might end up with a combination of all three common lighting systems, MH, VHO T5s, and LEDs - using the LEDS for night lighting. I would like to have enough light to grow anything I want, and I want to be able to mimic the phases of the moon in the most realistic and automated way possible.

Since my tank is so wide, I suspect I'm going to need pendent MH fixtures, as opposed to a pre-fab strip, with the VHO's and LED lights in between.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best brands, or if there is such a thing as an out of the box LED light strip designed just for night cycles, with moon phases pre-programmed in? I'm not exactly a DIYer, so the more pre-fab I can get the better.