Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Bad cyano

After buying a few new corals my tank got cyano outbreak right away. It started as being on sand bed only to rocks on sand now n kinda covering some corals. How I get rid of it? I've been vacuuming my sand of nasty
Gunk during water changes now.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 PM

Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Chemiclean works really good. Just follow directions and it works just like they claim.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Chemiclean works really good. Just follow directions and it works just like they claim.
Can it be harmful to fish n corals? Will just water changes work?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I use it whenever I have cyano and it works great. My sps don't seem to mind at all. I know many people who also use it in a mixed reef. I have also had success fighting algae by doing very large water changes every day for about 4-5 days. And I'm talking like 80%+. Thats just my personal experiences though.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

You could try the KZ cyanoclean. It seems to take 6 to 8 weeks to work but no need for oxygenation or water changes or crazy skimmer foaming.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 AM

Baker is on a distinguished road

Your lucky, thats not bad at all. I had cyano so bad(negligence) it was about 1/4" thick everywhere. I dosed chemiclean once a week for about 6 weeks and started using kz cyanoclean along with kz coral snow about 5 weeks in. It was a long road back to a clean tank but I am just seeing the last of it now. One thing I did add that seemed to help was I dosed a vial of Prodibio reef booster. Could of been coincidence. This was all done while doing twice a week water changes. Once after the chemiclean treatment and another a few days later. It was about 20-30% each time. There were other little things I added as well, sand cleaners. About 2 dozen nassarius snails both big and small. Changed my filter media(canister). I had to hit it hard and by the looks of it you wont have to go to that extent. This all took me about 3 months. Follow the instructions to the letter when it comes to chemiclean and you will be fine. Cyanoclean is a different animal as it is bacteria that out competes the cyano bacteria. Kz recommends complementing it with kz coral snow. dont know if it helped but the tank is looking waaaay better. Good luck
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

Another vote for ChemiClean. It just works. I've used it twice and haven't seen any adverse affects to either corals nor fish.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:50 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I've read its a killer on brittle stars and hard on pods. I wanted to try it on my tank, but was nervous for my Mandarine if it took out my pod population. Is this a myth?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I've read its a killer on brittle stars and hard on pods. I wanted to try it on my tank, but was nervous for my Mandarine if it took out my pod population. Is this a myth?
That would not be good then since I have a mandarin that only eats pods. My cyano seems to stop going nuts not after a decent water change n lots of sand vacuuming