Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM

trinac is on a distinguished road

The cucumber is neat I agree, but no you can't have it Leah... haha jk

I plan on moving a couple of the corals to the bigger tank and a couple of the fish. As the frags grow, I'll move them to the bigger tank, and if some look like they'd do better under metal halides they'll go to the big tank too. The 30g will let me grow up the various frags I purchase so they look slightly nicer than pegs when they go into the 90! I still want a mix of LPS and SPS in the 90.

Looking like it'll be filled up this evening and everything turned on!!

I almost forgot to mention, all of my fish are in quarantine right now. I skipped a crucial stage and put a fish in that looked great... ahh, well the quarantine tank is in use now with cupramine and all of the fish are doing fine. Except the blenny, who succumbed to ich quite quickly. Poor guy. The rest barely show signs, but a couple have a few spots.

Trina

Last edited by trinac; 06-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I can't believe I can't have him. You have caught the salty addiction I see.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Okay so summer has put the damper on things a bit! But, the tank is 10-4 a go, roger that. Everything is running bla bla. I have purchased a couple new tank buddies!! I have a Blue / Black Spotted Boxfish and a Watanabe Angel Fish at Gold's with my name on them. Just waiting on the fishies to be done with their quarantine tank then back to Gold's to throw these guys in there!!!

I have been waiting on one of those boxfish since January!

And the angel fish is too nice to pass up, here's the description from a website:
"Members of the genus Genicanthus are planktivores and will not bother corals or clams in the aquarium, making them the perfect reef angel. Not difficult to keep once acclimated. Keep only with very peaceful tankmates."
I also read that they stay on the smaller size (less than 6") and tolerate other angels too!

Trina
Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

If I'm thinking of the right fish, I have always loved (and coveted) those blue spotted boxfish but tread carefully: there are several cases where they've kicked off and taken more or less the entire tank with them due to the toxins released. I myself was thinking "one day" I'll try one but maybe in a tank by himself.

Just a heads up in case you weren't aware of that aspect with that species!!! Not something you want to find out the hard way.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 AM

Yah, I think its the same fish. Kevin at Gold's has warned me, and then warned me again.

I will do my best to keep everyone happy and healthy!! Its the one fish though that I absolutely must have so I am taking my chances. I may have a different opinion of this decision at some point. But, we'll see!!

Trina
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Just realized the fish have now been in the hospital tank for 30 days now! I guess I can start making preparations for them to return to their homes... thats awesome!!

I think the clown will go back to the office tank... as well as the Mandarin.

Two biggies definately to the basement tank...

What to do with the chromis.... flush em?! hahahha just kidding. Maybe I'll leave them in the quarantine tank till I decide.

Trina
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

What is wrong with your chromis? Why do you want to get rid of them? Do they not play nice?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 AM

New fish are home and in the quarantine tank! I love the spotted boxfish SOOOO MUUCCHHH!!!!!!!! I just want to squish him! I love watching this fish, its so friggen adorable. Even the bf, who doesn't care that much for SW (gasp! I know) thinks its awesome. Both fish are eating already.

Nothing wrong with the chromis, but I only want 3 fish in my 30G, and already have two in there. I will get either a small dottyback, anthias, damsel, or wrass instead of the two chromis. Looking for a fish that will grow max 3" and dependent on type too. I don't want one that hides all the time or one that is aggressive - have a mandarin goby. So, the plan is to wait till the new guys are done quarantine, and then give away the chromis.

I'll shop for the last addition to the 30 later in August.

Trina
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

We need pics!!
Don't get a damsel they are nasty fish.
I would probably get an anthas or a dottyback

Borbonius and Yellow Spotted

Yellow Assessor and Orchid Dottyback

Last edited by Greenmaster; 07-26-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Great fish suggestions! I saw a Yellow Assessor in the store today, its awesome. Don't have time to quarantine another fish right now though... Going on holidays pretty soon, out to the island actually for a bit, then to Whistler.

Here are a couple pictures of the new guys!

My favourite fish in the whole wide world:

Watanabe Angel

Couple pics of the 90G. Still a lot of work to do, but its up and running! I decided to do the rock work so the fish can have fun swimming in and through the rocks but still have lots of spots for coral. Going to get a bit more eventually, but this'll do for now.

Front, day lighting on:

Front, dusk lighting on:

No pic yet of night lighting yet.

Side and whats underneath:

Fish cave:

A nice, bright yellow toadstool. Got it at Big Al's, they have a few left but they are not doing very good, so if you want one you might be able to score a deal.

Picture of 30G now. Had to remove some rock for the quarantine tank, and had a couple losses from temp / alk issues. I have those under control now, so working on getting this one looking nicer again...

Green digi recovery and growth

Couple corals growth

Trina