Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post
the duplicates thing can be brutal, oder 6 zoa colonies or 15 sps colonies just to have 8 of the exact same pieces lol
Ya, and they aren't duplicates of the gem pieces. Usually the digitata that wasn't even ordered lol
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 AM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, and they aren't duplicates of the gem pieces. Usually the digitata that wasn't even ordered lol
or the same red cap or valida colonie over and over and over lol

better yet is when they list it as a collector name or ultra this and that and then the lemons show lol

fool me once....
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

Duplicates are brutal....but what really hurts are the items that you DIDN'T order and are automatically substituted (of supposed 'equal' value - yeah, right). As in 99.99% of direct shipments. Transhipping aside.

I've helped several LFS select and choose items - sometimes there's a mere list to choose from. Other times - there are literally hundreds of pictures to comb through.

It's amazing how what it ordered will never match what is delivered and unboxed. Someone will invariably ask: "Why does the LFS put up with that kind of service standard?"

Answer: Canada is a relatively small market and the wholesaler will generally cater to much larger U.S. and European clients - ie.) Live Aquaria, White Corals (Germany). Wholesalers will bend over backwards for a consistent large revenue stream. Economies of scale.

Back on topic - for what it's worth....some frag pack corals (despite being puke coloured green or some other non appealing form) will colour up very nicely over time. I've found several "runts" and ugly ducklings change colour under different conditions.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

I stand on both sides for this issue.

For more common corals that are great for filling out a new tank, frag packs are the dog's bollocks - you get an insta-reef at a low price and the seller moves a bunch of stuff quickly. I get the need to move volume fast; I'm so busy that I actually give most of my frags away for free to friends and newbies, otherwise I throw them out. I just don't have the time or space to deal with it. For a retailer, moving stock through is key and I totally get why they do it.

On the other hand, the selection of nice collector corals seems to be rather **** poor in Vancouver, so I'm already getting nailed having to bring in corals from out of province. Having the one frag I want stuck in a bundle that can't be split up ticks me off because now I have to spend more money to buy more corals that I don't even have room (or want) just to get the one - and then add the shipping back on top of that if it's not local. Ya, sure I can go and try to sell the pieces I don't want, but refer to my previous point - I'm too flippin' busy to deal with it and have no room in the tank. So, what happens is that I just pass on the packs and yet again still can't get the collector pieces I'm after. It's only happened to me a few times but each time it was for a piece I really wanted and would have paid a premium for.

So, Paddy buddy, I feel ya on this one. I too hit that point some weeks where I'm just going "Why the frig is it so damn hard just to get a nice piece of coral!", then you come so close to finding what you want and get burned by something silly like a pack... leaving me banging my head again the tank in frustration.