Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM

gridley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Your pictures are so nice.. what camera are you using?
Thank you very much for the compliment. One of my hobbies for years has been nature photography and marine shots are an extension of that - and I have a huge amount to learn yet about taking photos through glass!

About 15 months ago I bought myself a Sony a65. The reviews http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65/ on this camera were very good and I have not been dissapointed . I upgraded the stock lens that came with the camera to an 18-250mm lens for a larger range of possible shots. What drew me to the camera was:
1) the very quick auto focus time - action pictures are much better
2) the ability to take 10 frames/sec - allowing me to get the "perfect" shot of a duck taking off or landing
3) the ability to takes pictures at high ISO - up to 16,000
4) the image size of up to 24MP

What I've found for the tank is that I can take a picture with an image size of 24MP and the lens at 18mm. I am able to take pictures from about 18" from the tank, letting more light in, a lower ISO and I don't have to go to a macro lens or macro settings. I can then crop the image significantly and still have a good sized photo without losing clarity.

Overall, I am very happy with the camera.

90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85303