Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM

fatpuffer is on a distinguished road
Default Disaster struck my tank!

It actually happened a few days back. Just did not have the motivation to post it.

Well, I did a water change...nothing out of the ordinary. 15 min. later...I noticed all of my fish are on their sides. I dont know what I did wrong. I did not change a thing. The salinity, temp, treated water, etc. all the same. I tried to do more water change and put is some carbon...no help.

Most of my fish are dead! I have two clowns left. I am glad at least one of my older fish survived. This hobby gets so frustrating sometimes. I just feel like throwing in the towel few days ago when it happened. Now I think the tank is back to normal. The clowns that were lying on their sides happily swimming around. AND my only snail actually survived as well. Did not seem to bother him at all.

I think I will just turn this tank to clownfish/damsel tank. So if anybody is looking to get rid of damsels or clownfish, send me a PM with the price and location.

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME VENT!

Js
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Yikes that totally sucks.

Are you sure you put the salt in? Seems really weird. Even weirder that your snail survived.

Just wondering.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 PM

LOL. I put the same amount of salt as I always do. I change the water weekly...about 33 percent. I still can't figure out how it happened.

Js
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Staff

Sorry, I had to ask

Thats just crazy. I wonder if maybe it was a pH thing. Do you use RODI or tap? What did you "treat" the water with?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:03 PM

It just a FOWLR tank so I just use regular tap water. I used prime to treat the water. I also did water change the day before for my freshwater and they are fine. I have been using tap water since I started this FOWLR tank and no casualties...well til now.

Js
Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Staff

Too much prime maybe? I know people have had probs with that stuff in the past.

Weird that you'd just done a waterchange recently with no problems though.

This hobby is just weird sometimes

My 180 Build

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

I used the same amount I always do. I dont think its prime. BUT you are right this hobby is weird and frustrating at times. For now I will just go with the clownfish and maybe a few damsels (still looking for damsels though...lol).

Js
Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That's horrible! I'm so sorry.

What other animals do you have? The reason I ask is.. this has happened to me a few times (ie. a tank full of dead fish), it turns out it was my anemone. There are other creatures too that are capable of downing a tank like that, if distressed, injured or killed.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

You stated you are using tap water, I've heard of cases where the local water department will boost the chorine,chloromine or other purifiers heavily. esp in hotter weather to reduce algaes ect.

Just a thought.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Delphinus: I just had fish and no inverts in the tank. The flame angel, my fugu (the nicest most calm puffer), and my royal gramma were the casualties.

Scavenger: I have not heard of any increase in water conditioning in Red Deer. Usually happens during the spring due to run-offs. Also my freshwater also had some water change (50 percent) with no ill effects.

Js