Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 AM

crystalz is on a distinguished road
Default Orange marble starfish

I recently purchased an orange marble star. One of its arms seems as though it is slightly 'rotting'? or dissolving. Does anyone know why this is the case and whether there is any way to treat it or not?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's not really good news I'm afraid. Sometimes if stars are on the way out the arms fall off or disintegrate. Problem is nobody really knows what they eat, so either they adapt to whatever is available in our tanks, or they don't. AFAIK there's not really anything you can do. Sorry..
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Take the star out and cut its arm off with a pair of scissors, just above the rotting part and then put it back in the tank. Sometimes that helps and it will just heal over where you've cut it.

Is this a new addition? How long did you acclimate it for? If not a new addition have you had any salinity swings in the tank lately? These guys are pretty sensitive to salinity (and probably pH and a host of other things).

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I can be pretty disheartening to watch these poor guys fade into nothing. I learned my lesson once now I try to stay away from these little guys.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

if the star has not eaten anything for a while (not necessarily in your tank), it will obviously starve. unfortunately often when they starve they dissolve from the inside out so you dont notice until it's too late. by the time the exoskeleton is rotting from starvation, there isnt a lot of hope left.

if it's not starvation and just injury or disease or something, then yeah i would try the cutting method like christy suggested. keep an eye on water params
Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Reefer View Post
I can be pretty disheartening to watch these poor guys fade into nothing. I learned my lesson once now I try to stay away from these little guys.
I'm the same way. I had a blue linckia live for about 1.5 years and that's the best I've ever been able to manage with these kinds of stars, and although I hear of similar stories, I think you have to really get lucky to get that far.

On different occasions, I've tried 2 fromia's, 1 purple linckia, and a sand sifting star, and none of thise ever lived more than a couple months - just a slow gradual deterioration until they were gone. I stay away from the stars whose diets we don't know. CC stars, OTOH, at least we know what they eat, so if you're OK with the fact they're not reef-safe, can at least do well in an appropriate tank.

Back in December, a friend came to me and asked for a favour - could I babysit some critters from his boss's tank while they did a copper treatment to deal with some bad ick - it turned out one of the critters was a sand-sifting star. I knew right away this was a bad idea, but since they were stuck, I said, sure, I'll try my best. Even though I did a drip acclimation over 24 hours, the thing never moved in my tank - maybe 2-3". Within a week the tips were disintegrating. 2 more weeks after that it was completely dead. It just solidified in my mind - these things don't really belong in our tanks. If we don't know how to feed them, we probably shouldn't be surprised if they starve.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I had a red linkia and a fromia doing awesome, then I decided to add a sand sifting star to work over the sand bed. Next thing you know the linkia and fromia are rotting and eventually died. The sand sifting star lived on for a year or so but it to began to shrink and eventually disappeared.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i havnt had much luck with any reefsafe stars to live more than a year but ive had some predatory stars like generals and chocolate chips live for over 3 years so far.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 AM

fortheloveofcrabs is on a distinguished road

I had a red linkia for about 8 months, then it "rotted" away, just like yours. I thought something was attacking it at first. Sadly, I couldn't save the little guy - he just disappeared.

Sorry...

Have a good one!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:15 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

You people are scaring me!!!! We have a red linkia in our 120g right now. We have had him for almost a year, I don't want to think that soon I might find him rotting